delete running slow

• Dear Friends

I've got a delete statement which is taking 40 secs to run. There's only a row to delete but it's taking 40 secs . The table has got foreign keys which references other tables. The indexes exist on these foreign key columns.

The delete statement is:

DELETE FROM konten WITH(ROWLOCK) WHERE KONTONR = 123456

I have attached the Execution plan with this thread.

• can you post a table definition with index defs on the konten table?

Looks like you are facing into a DELETE..CASCADE performance issue... this delete has to touch alot of objects to remove even one row... Have you considered disabling the cascading delete on the foreign key on the konten table? You'd have to use some other mechanism to perform the child table deletes, but other options like triggers may impose less performance overhead.

• It is a good thing you posted the sqlplan :w00t:

Did you notice you are hitting 31 objects with this simple delete statement ?

Table [LEISTUNGSPREISE] is accessed using a clustered index scan multiple times in your plan to seek for Columns "KONTO_STEUER_VK" ,konto_steuer_prov, konto_prov, KONTO_BUCH. Looks like missing indexes.

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution ๐Ÿ˜€

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• Do tables that reference table konten have indexes on their foreign key columns?

• Michael Valentine Jones (10/15/2010)

Do tables that reference table konten have indexes on their foreign key columns?

Specifically, Do ALL tables that reference table konten have indexes on their foreign key columns?

You're also doing INDEX SCANS on this table: LEISTUNGSPREISE (3 times) - seems like the index isn't completely suitable.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS (10/15/2010)

Michael Valentine Jones (10/15/2010)

Do tables that reference table konten have indexes on their foreign key columns?

Specifically, Do ALL tables that reference table konten have indexes on their foreign key columns?

You're also doing INDEX SCANS on this table: LEISTUNGSPREISE (3 times) - seems like the index isn't completely suitable.

This table (like a few others) is referenced multiple times since there seem to be several foreign key references (different columns of the table LEISTUNGSPREISE referencing the same source konten.KONTONR). There will be several indexes needed to change the scans to seeks. Not sure if this will significantly influence the INSERT performance on the table LEISTUNGSPREISE.

Regarding the business case itself: I'm not sure if it's a good idea (= legally allowed) to physically delete a bank account# including all related transactions... But that's a different story...

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• WayneS (10/15/2010)

Correction: you're doing 4 PK clustered index scans (aka table scan) on the LEISTUNGSPREISE table, each time on a different column (KONTO_BUCH, KONTO_STEUER_PROV, KONTO_PROV and KONTO_STEUER_VK). It seems that these 4 columns would benefit from having an index on them for maintaining the Foreign Key relationship.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Correction: you're doing 4 PK clustered index scans (aka table scan) on the LEISTUNGSPREISE table, each time on a different column (KONTO_BUCH, KONTO_STEUER_PROV, KONTO_PROV and KONTO_STEUER_VK). It seems that these 4 columns would benefit from having an index on them for maintaining the Foreign Key relationship.

There is a non clustered index on each of these fields. Do you think it will beenfit with just one index for these 4 columns?

• ss-457805 (10/16/2010)

Correction: you're doing 4 PK clustered index scans (aka table scan) on the LEISTUNGSPREISE table, each time on a different column (KONTO_BUCH, KONTO_STEUER_PROV, KONTO_PROV and KONTO_STEUER_VK). It seems that these 4 columns would benefit from having an index on them for maintaining the Foreign Key relationship.

There is a non clustered index on each of these fields. Do you think it will beenfit with just one index for these 4 columns?

Strange these indexes aren't being used !

-Did you rebuild them before your action ?

- what's their fragmentation level ?

- do they contain a single value representing a large number of occurrences in relation to the other values ?

edited

- double check these indexe aren't disabled !

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution ๐Ÿ˜€

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• LutzM (10/15/2010)

WayneS (10/15/2010)

This table (like a few others) is referenced multiple times since there seem to be several foreign key references (different columns of the table LEISTUNGSPREISE referencing the same source konten.KONTONR). There will be several indexes needed to change the scans to seeks. Not sure if this will significantly influence the INSERT performance on the table LEISTUNGSPREISE.

Regarding the business case itself: I'm not sure if it's a good idea (= legally allowed) to physically delete a bank account# including all related transactions... But that's a different story...

How long are they required to keep it around?

• Ninja's_RGR'us (10/16/2010)

How long are they required to keep it around?

Due to the table and column names I'd guess we're talking about a database that needs to be compliant with German laws... (just guessing, though)

In that case they have to keep the data at least 10 years (ยง257 German Commercial Code), tax regulations require 10 years as well (ยง147 German Fiscal Code), regardless whether it's a bank or any other kind of business. If there are any pending proceedings it will be even longer.

So your account# would still be blocked for 10 more years after the account has been canceled.

Archiving of old data is a totally different story... I'd expect most companies will archive data long before the 10 years are over....

But I'd also expect a company would not delete the account# itself from the main systems (which is pretty much the task described here) during archiving if the account# is no longer used but still archived in order to avoid the risk of duplicates.

I'm not even sure if it's a good idea at all to delete the "master account#" from the "master table".... But that's another totally different story...

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply