Defrag SQL Index

• Help! I have an index that is heavely fragmented. I've rebuilt all the indexes through a maintenance plan. It didn't improve the index I'm having a problem with. The software vendor says I need to bebuild the indexes for the table, but I think the index is a clustered index on the table. Here's the results from doing a dbcc showcontig.

DBCC SHOWCONTIG scanning 'keygroupdata104' table...

Table: 'keygroupdata104' (2091154495); index ID: 0, database ID: 5

TABLE level scan performed.

- Pages Scanned................................: 799

- Extents Scanned..............................: 217

- Extent Switches..............................: 216

- Avg. Pages per Extent........................: 3.7

- Scan Density [Best Count:Actual Count].......: 46.08% [100:217]

- Extent Scan Fragmentation ...................: 99.54%

- Avg. Bytes Free per Page.....................: 671.3

- Avg. Page Density (full).....................: 91.71%

DBCC execution completed. If DBCC printed error messages, contact your system administrator.

Your help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave:-)

• What is a problem?

You can do it with GUI or with a script.

With GUI:

In Object Explorer, connect to an instance of the SQL Server 2005 Database Engine and then expand that instance.

Expand Databases, expand the database that contains the table with the specified index, and then expand Tables.

Expand the table in which the index belongs and then expand Indexes.

Right-click the index to rebuild and then click Rebuild.

To start the rebuild operation, click OK.

With a script:

USE yourDB_name;

GO

ALTER INDEX yourINDEX_name ON yourTABLE_name

REBUILD;

GO

Just don't do it on a production database during the office hours - the table will be not accessible for users.

• drodriguez-762178 (9/17/2009)

Help! I have an index that is heavely fragmented. I've rebuilt all the indexes through a maintenance plan. It didn't improve the index I'm having a problem with. The software vendor says I need to bebuild the indexes for the table, but I think the index is a clustered index on the table. Here's the results from doing a dbcc showcontig.

DBCC SHOWCONTIG scanning 'keygroupdata104' table...

Table: 'keygroupdata104' (2091154495); index ID: 0, database ID: 5

TABLE level scan performed.

- Pages Scanned................................: 799

- Extents Scanned..............................: 217

- Extent Switches..............................: 216

- Avg. Pages per Extent........................: 3.7

- Scan Density [Best Count:Actual Count].......: 46.08% [100:217]

- Extent Scan Fragmentation ...................: 99.54%

- Avg. Bytes Free per Page.....................: 671.3

- Avg. Page Density (full).....................: 91.71%

DBCC execution completed. If DBCC printed error messages, contact your system administrator.

Your help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave:-)

It would be helpful to see the Index definition and the Table definition for this scenario. Please provide that information so we can get a better picture of the issue and provide better answers.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• I hope these are the correct definitions.

USE [itiserver]

GO

/****** Object: Table [hsi].[keygroupdata104] Script Date: 09/17/2009 10:44:00 ******/

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

GO

SET ANSI_PADDING OFF

GO

CREATE TABLE [hsi].[keygroupdata104](

[itemnum] [int] NULL,

[kg115] [datetime] NULL,

[kg133] [char](50) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL

) ON [PRIMARY]

GO

SET ANSI_PADDING OFF

GO

/****** Object: Index [Akeygroupdata104_115] Script Date: 09/17/2009 10:45:14 ******/

CREATE NONCLUSTERED INDEX [Akeygroupdata104_115] ON [hsi].[keygroupdata104]

(

[kg115] ASC

)WITH (PAD_INDEX = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE = OFF, SORT_IN_TEMPDB = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, DROP_EXISTING = OFF, ONLINE = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS = ON, FILLFACTOR = 90) ON [PRIMARY]

GO

/****** Object: Index [Akeygroupdata104_133] Script Date: 09/17/2009 10:45:35 ******/

CREATE NONCLUSTERED INDEX [Akeygroupdata104_133] ON [hsi].[keygroupdata104]

(

[kg133] ASC

)WITH (PAD_INDEX = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE = OFF, SORT_IN_TEMPDB = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, DROP_EXISTING = OFF, ONLINE = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS = ON, FILLFACTOR = 90) ON [PRIMARY]

GO

/****** Object: Index [keygroupdata104_2] Script Date: 09/17/2009 10:45:48 ******/

CREATE UNIQUE NONCLUSTERED INDEX [keygroupdata104_2] ON [hsi].[keygroupdata104]

(

[itemnum] ASC

• To help the situation, you should consider a clustered index for the table. To defrag the other indexes, you will need a clustered index. The clustered index can be either permanent or temporary (used just long enough to defrag). You would want to consider on which field to create the clustered index (the itemnum field might be a good candidate) - it will depend on the data and usage.

Learn Extended Events

• You are never going to be able to rebuild that index - because it is not an index. It is a HEAP (Index ID: 0).

If you need to reorganize this table, then you need to add a CLUSTERED index (Index ID: 1) with the appropriate fill factor for the application. Or, you can just create a clustered index and then drop it.

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• OK, I think I got it. There reason for the fragmentation is because there is now primary key.

• drodriguez-762178 (9/17/2009)

OK, I think I got it. There reason for the fragmentation is because there is now primary key.

No. The reason for fragmentation is due to the lack of a clustered index. Primary Keys do not have to include a clustered index, but by default do when created through the GUI. Though this is the default behavior for PK creation, it is recommended to evaluate your clustered index column to make sure it is placed on the best column for that table.

Learn Extended Events

• BTW, thanks for being helpful to us. You providing the table and index information really helps make this process go a lot smoother.

Learn Extended Events

• Great, thanks for your help.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply