Default in data source credentials

• Hello,

I wanted to know if there is a way to default to “Use as Current windows User” in Data Source Credentials dialog box?

When we open a report in report builder and open data set or develop new report using report builder and using existing data sources on the server, data source credentials dialog box opens up with user name of whet is set on data source.

Those who don’t know the password must select “Use as Current windows User” and proceed with changes to dataset.

So I wanted to ask you, if there is a way where we can default when anybody opens dataset it defaults to “Use as Current windows User” in the data source credentials dialog box?

Please look at the attachment.

• if your shared datasource is set to "windows security" you shouldnt get the prompt. I take it this isnt an option though? I assume your datasource should use the credentials in the box? and only use "current user" as an alternative?

I'd need more info to be honest.

Why are you using the set credentials if users can just use "current user". Does it seperate levels of access? (ie. Admin level vs user level) - If it does, youre probably better off doing that differently.

Instead of using embedded credentials simply control levels of access using different AD groups in the database. Then set the datasource to always use windows integrated security. Then, depending on the user, they will see different data (if that was your intention)

Another point, if you have to use the embedded credentials for some people (admins?) - Create a second datasource pointing to the same DB etc. So one datasource is for admins using those credentials. The other datasource automatically passes windows credentials, removing the need for a prompt.

Make sense? I'm guessing a lot at your setup, purpose and goals here so correct me if i'm wrong

ta

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply