Default 2000 server and database DID NOT get upgraded to 2005

• Hi folks,

I have a SQL Server 2000 server which has one database on it, and its a default instance.

I wanted to upgrade to 2005. So I used the standard edition of 2005, and went through all the default screens, also choosing the default instance of the upgrade. Everything went fine, all the way through. I've done about 10 of these upgrades, so Im somewhat familiar with all the screens. What I was expecting is to not be able to user Enterprise Manager anymore (as now the db should be 2005, compatibility of 90)...but that is not the case...its still a SQL 2000 database.

What can I do ? Have you come across something like this ? I have an application connection to this database that is found on another server, which I did not stop during the upgrade....could this of interfered with my upgrade ? ( I would think SQL Server upgrade would tell me if there was a connection blocking the upgrade)

This is somewhat time sensitive, so I would really appreciate everybody's feedback.

Thank you !

• What do you mean by 'its still a SQL 2000 database'? If you mean it's still in compat mode 80, that's normal. The upgrade will not change the compatibility mode of user databases for you. You have to do that yourself afterwards.

If the DB is attached to a SQL 2005 instance, it is a 2005 database, regardless of compatibility level. All the compat mode affects is some aspects of how queries are run and what language constructs are legal.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Did you upgrade or not? You cannot have two default instances, yet you say you had a 2000 default and chose default not upgrade during the install.

I suspect that you did not upgrade.

Can you check services for which ones are running?

• Sorry if I was unclear, forget about the my 90 compatibility sentence. I know what you mean about changing that, once the upgrade is complete.

No my problem is that my server and database did not get upgraded to 2005. It installed 2005, but did not upgrade my current 2000 environment...why would that be ?

• What did it install? A named instance? Did the installation give any errors?

Look in the services app. What SQL services are there?

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Steve,

How can I choose, NOT to upgrade ?...I have 2000 as my default instance, then run the 2005 standard install...it SHOULD automatically upgrade my 2000 default environment, should it not ?

Services that are currently running are still 2000, I dont see any of the other services that appear after doing a 2005 upgrade (i.e SQL Server (MSSQLServer)).

So I think I need to run the upgrade again, but Im really curious where I would have choosen NOT to do an upgrade ?

I do have SQL 2005 installed on this machine now, but no idea how and why it did not upgrade my default 2000 environment

• What parts of SQL 2005 do you have installed? (Check add-remove programs). What SQL-related services are running?

It's very easy to go through the upgrade and not upgrade any of the services. iirc, you have to select which DB engine you want to upgrade.

Gail Shaw

• Here is a better question, what version of SQL Server 2000 are you upgrading, Standard or Enterprise? If you are upgrading from SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition, you need to upgrade to SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Edition.

😎

• GilaMonster,

I went to Add/Remove Progs. and saw that SQL Server 2005 (and 2000) was installed.

Lynn, I have a 2000 standard environment, so that is not the issue.

Maybe I did not check 'database engine' during the upgrade ?...but I highly doubt that.

What would you do at this point, uninstall 2005, and reinstall ?..or do a repair ?

• koln (10/28/2008)

GilaMonster,

I went to Add/Remove Progs. and saw that SQL Server 2005 (and 2000) was installed.

What components of 2000 and 2005?

I'd say run the upgrade from scratch and pay close attention to any errors or warnings, especially with the pre-install check.

Gail Shaw

• Regarding 2005 components, I have Analysis, Integration, Notification, and workstation....so Im missing the database engine, right ?

It would be crazy to think that all was installed except the database engine, as Im pretty sure that I had selected everything (but am beginning to doubt myself now)

I guess, I'll remove 2005 all together, and then re-install, making sure all components are checked. Even if I did have the database engine checked, could it not have gotten installed due to something else blocking it ?.....I know I didnt get any error messages during my initial upgrade, except the standard IIS one.

• We had a similiar issue here on a couple of servers. You can rerun the install, but there is one more step in the install process for an upgrade that you have to be sure to complete. There is an additional dialog box that you need to be sure to check a box on for the instance you want to upgrade.

😎

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply