DBCC REINDEX for each table

• Hi,

I am using the following to reindex each index on each table in the database:

USE DBName;

EXEC SP_MSFOREACHTABLE

'DBCC DBReindex(''?'', '''', 90)'

GO

My question is How can I use this statement to only reindex non-clustered indexes?

Also I wanted to re-index only on indexes that had fragmentation of higher than 30 %.

How do I do that using SP_MSFOREAHTABLE?

Thanks.

• Short answer: You don't. You borrow some long convoluted code off someone else, learn what it does to make sure you can fix it, and use that.

There's a number of samples and complete code batches out there. Do a google search on: logical fragmentation detection dbcc reindex

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Try to look at sys.DM_DB_INDEX_PHISICAL_STATS

On msdn: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms188917.aspx

you can find also an example "Using sys.dm_db_index_physical_stats in a script to rebuild or reorganize indexes".

Regards,

Iulian

• you can use something similar to this to get the index names to rebuild

select a.[object_id], b.name from sys.dm_db_index_physical_stats(DB_ID(), NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL) a

join sys.objects b on a.[object_id]=b.[object_id]

where index_id=2 and avg_fragmentation_in_percent > 30

then need to build a cursor round the index name to dynamically create the dbcc command

its all in the article link above

• While I wrote my own code to defrag indexes (in the book, listed below), I really prefer Michelle Ufford's[/url] code. It works wonders.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Kimberly Tripp has some code on her blog on how to do this. Her routine will rebuild clustered and non-clustered indexes based on the fragmentation level.

• get the complete and FREE maintenance suite at ola.hallengren.com!!! Can't say enough good things about this - and it does much more than just index mx.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply