DBA - Where in your organization?

• Curious...

- How many types of database administration / data development roles do you have in your organization? (senior, junior, admin-focused, development-focused, etc.)

- Where do these roles sit in your organizational structure?

TIA!

• That totally varies by company.

My last employer had four levels: Junior, DBA, Senior, Principal

We were part of the overall IT organization, under a VP responsible for Server Administration, SAN Administration and Database Administration. There was a separate VP for development, but about 2/3 of our team worked with development teams so we straddled the organization pretty regularly.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey (9/22/2015)

That totally varies by company.

My last employer had four levels: Junior, DBA, Senior, Principal

We were part of the overall IT organization, under a VP responsible for Server Administration, SAN Administration and Database Administration. There was a separate VP for development, but about 2/3 of our team worked with development teams so we straddled the organization pretty regularly.

Thanks, Grant. That's just the type of answer I'm looking for. I'm interested in how it is structured in other organizations since there can be some variance from place to place.

Note: Edited my original post for clarity and to fix a typo.

• joffwilliams (9/22/2015)

I'm interested in how it is structured in other organizations since there can be some variance from place to place.

Why? And, no... that's not a smart-guy answer on my part. Knowing the reason you want to know may help folks structure their answer better.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Why? And, no... that's not a smart-guy answer on my part. Knowing the reason you want to know may help folks structure their answer better.

For comparison with the model used in my environment, which may be changing the future. How it changes will be unique to us and our needs. Comparison with others is useful as a point of reference.

• We have what I call a DevNetOps team made up of several teams.

[font="Arial Black"]OPS[/font]

Infrastructure, Windows, Email, VMs, Overall Security, Telephone System, UPS, Emergency Diesel, VPN's, DR, Remote DR, backups to tape, janitorial, etc. These folks also manage Active Directory logins/privs. 8 people total.

[font="Arial Black"]WebDev[/font]

The Front-End Developers... all have a really good knowledge of T-SQL and indexes (I train/mentor/work with them). 5 people including the Dev Manager.

[font="Arial Black"]Data Analysts[/font]

These folks put new customers online. It's sometimes a months-long process. They know SQL pretty well (I train/mentor/work with them) 4 people including the Enterprise Architect.

[font="Arial Black"]Information Group[/font]

These folks support customers that the Data Analysts have brought online. They do imports, exports, customer maintenance/mods, standard reports, custom reports, etc. 6 people including their manager.

[font="Arial Black"]DBA Group[/font]

Me. I don't build the physical machines nor setup VM, but I specify what the machines should look like. I'm responsible for anything and everything else having to do with SQL Server including (but not limited to) the training and mentoring of all the other groups, system backups, system monitoring, capacity planning/monitoring, 100% peer reviews, backups, restores (mostly to support new projects, Dev, and QA "refreshes"), configurations, index/stats maintenance, SQL Server Security, etc, etc, etc, and I work with other groups in security, DR, etc, etc. I also write T-SQL as a Developer when "crunch time" happens or there's something that needs to be done that no one else yet knows how to do and probably doesn't need to. For example, I build Developer tools/utilities like the DelimitedSplit8K function. I'm also neck deep into the SQL Server based telephone system. Of course, I'm also primary on any migrations that occur. My boss is the Enterprise Architect and I work very closely with the Dev Manager (who is also the QA manager of 4 QA people), the Enterprise Architect, and the Director of Infrastructure not to mention the project managers, the resident business analysts, and just about anyone else that has any need or association with the SQL Servers.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• We have an organisational structure that's a bit of a combination of Grant and Jeff's replies.

The DBA team has 4 levels outside management:

*Associate DBA

*DBA

*Senior DBA

*Principal DBA

We have one DBA team to cover all RDMS but there is a split in the team, we plan to make it that all DBA's can support all systems.

* Oracle DBA's support Oracle, MySQL (AWS RDS), MongoDB, Redshift (AWS) and EMR (AWS)

* SQL Server DBA's support SQL Server, MySQL, MongoDB, (AWS RDS) and Redshift (AWS)

All DBA's are hybrid dev \ production DBA's and support DEV \ QA \ Integration \ Performance \ Production environments.

We all develop in various languages depending on whats required from SQL, Powershell, Python, vb.net, C#.net, Bash Shell, DOS Command Line etc.

MCITP SQL 2005, MCSA SQL 2012

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply