DB user access rights, weird behaviour

• hi,

i have a really annoying problem with one of our customers, he is using SQL2000.

Our app. uses 2 dbs, connecting to them through ODBC, trusted auth.

Often the customer calls me because, when he tries to use the application (by entering username and password) after some seconds he gets an error message like "User does not have access to any database to this server location".

If i look on the dbserver, "DOMAIN USERS" have access to all the databases needed by the application, but only after removing and re-assigning the access to our db (with public and db_owner roles, like before) everything works fine for some days.

Any ideas?

Thank you for the help.

Damiano

• Hope you have given the password expiration for that login.:)

• The password expiration for domain users is not set, and is not affecting the login on sql server (if the user can use his computer i think his domain account is a valid one).

• So you are using windows login and connecting to sql server 2000 right??

• Yes, and if i look on the "DOMAIN USERS" property page (from sql server) evrything seems ok, " but only after removing and re-assigning the access to our db (with public and db_owner roles, like before) everything works fine for some days"

• Try giving all database roles except db_denydatawriter and db_denydatareader

• Often the customer calls me because, when he tries to use the application (by entering username and password) after some seconds he gets an error message like "User does not have access to any database to this server location".

Have you seen this customer logging in? Maybe...he is a. choosing the wrong server/database to login to or b. forgets his password? Then... c. He calls you convinced the issue resides with the system so you reset the permissions. And finally, d. only after you confirm the perms are reset he remembers the correct password or server/db setting.

I don't know, just thought that might be funny. :hehe:

• i've tried by myself to login using a remote support tool, everything is configured correctly, the connection is made through ODBC (a system DSN with trusted auth)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply