Datafile issue

• Hey Experts,

I have a weird scenario here. Recently I added a data file in one of my prod database for SQL (2012 Ent. SP2 64 bit) instance and found it was started reflecting in properties for the database and I ran sysaltfiles, sysfiles also which are showing correct details. However, I was not able to see the file created at the physical location. To resolve this I am sure if I take the database offline and online, the data file will be created in the drive.

Also, I have added another datafile in same database after couple of days and it was created successfully and file was visible in the drive. However, above file was still not visible in the drive.

I just want to understand if this is a bug in SQL 2012 or anything else as I need to provide the justification to the business.

Did anyone experience similar issues?

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Austin

• I had the same trouble.

• Looks like some bug or at most I can think of storage related issues which I am working with my team as I don't see any error in SQL logs and DMV's which capture the historical details since last restart, eventvwr, Cluster logs.

FY! the SQL instance is clustered.

• I have seen a couple of other reports of this. I think they all ended up being permissions on the file.

Hopefully you still can't see it (sorry) but I am curious. Do you see any difference on the file permissions, ownership, inheritance (or one level up for the directory) between the one that's visible and the one that isn't?

Sue

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply