Database Mirroring SQL Server 2008

• Hello everyone,

Since the office upgraded from SQL Server 2000 to 2008.

On SQL Server 2000 log shipping was setup for HA.

I have setup Database Mirroring on SQL Server 2008 and there are concerns that Database Mirroring will not have the ability to send logs over the slow network when activity really spikes.

They want to know if there is a way to be able to send information over a time span.

Are there more in detail information sources that I can be guided to research these scenario so that I can answer intelligently?

Thanks in advance.

Jonathan

• you can extend the mirroring timeout and thats about it. Log shipping is better if you want a scheduled movement of the data and you can have it read only too.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Thank you Perry,

It seems as if the network and distance is really going to play a part in the decision.

Log shipping thus far seems like the way to go.

Jonathan

• yes, also bear in mind to have a read only mirrored database you need to use snapshots which you may or may not be comfortable with

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Understood.

On the box where the databases are being mirrored there are space limitations.

A = Principal B = Mirrored (Same domain and location)

A >> B

I have to incorporate the following into the mix:

C >> B (Same domain different location) 1200 miles apart; slow network.

The snapshots will use the same amount of space correct?

I'm making notes of all these scenarios.

Jonathan

• This link contains details about snapshots and how they work

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply