Database mirroring Architecture

• Hi,

We are implementing the SQL Server 2008 Database mirroring and want to present the Architecture diagram to Network & System teams.

Best Practices recommends to Use a dedicated network interface card (NIC) for mirroring traffic to optimize performance of data throughput.

Here, dedicated NIC means the dedicated VLAN? Because, we have only one VLAN network switch. So we need to configure one more VLAN switch to have dedicated network interface card (NIC) for mirroring traffic right?

Please clarify me. If possible provide me a Mirroring diagram.

Thanks

• Could you please advice on this topic?

• Sorry but this is more of a question to the Networking guys and this site is for database related questions, so you might have little responses coming out to you.

Amol Naik

• Check out this blog http://blogs.citrix.com/2011/07/24/mirror-mirror-on-the-wall-whos-the-best-sql-server-of-all/[/url]

• Ideally you want two LAN connections - a "public" connection, which connects the servers to your principal network, and a "private" connection, which purely connects the two (or three, if you have a witness) mirroring servers together.

You can set up an additional VLAN if required for the private connection. The aim is to ensure mirroring traffic is kept away from principal network traffic so there is no resource contention.

In the past I have set up separate VLANs dedicated to database mirroring, so doing this is a perfectly acceptable way of implementing this configuration.

Mike.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply