Database Mail to Distribution List

• I have a SQL Server 2005 which I have configured the database mail to setup monitoring alerts and notifications. I also create a email distribution list containing a couple of emails. The thing is that when I send the email from the database to a distribution list, it never gets to the emails inbox, but if I do it individually it does.

I tried to send an email from the outlook to the distribution list and it worked fine. I do not understand what is happening. Please can you help me?

• is it the group created by you in your outlook then it will be available onely on your out look.

if you send it to group created in mail server it will have a mail id then you can definetely send it to the group.

Regards
    Durai Nagarajan

• Hi thanks for the response,

But the distribution list is created in the domain, so it is visible from every other computer. I tested it from other computers and works correctly.

• How are you sending the mail fromn SQL? Is it automated through the job agent or using sp_send_mail or something like that?

Try this:

1. ensure database mail is enabled.

2. ensure youu have a profile.

3. ensure that profile has an associated account.

4. run:

EXEC msdb.dbo.sp_send_dbmail

@profile_name = 'test',

@recipients = '{groupemail}@{domain}.co.uk',

@subject = 'test',

@body = 'hello world'

That will test your group from SQL. Then report back.

Im not here next week but someone else will pick it up from there.

🙂

Adam Zacks-------------------------------------------Be Nice, Or Leave

• mvillegascuellar (6/22/2012)

Hi thanks for the response,

But the distribution listis created in the domain, so it is visible from every other computer. I tested it from other computers and works correctly.

distribution lists / Groups are usually private, meaning only emails from the actual domain can send to them. they are a virtual kind of mailbox, and not a realone like yourname@myDomain.com

so if i send to the distribution list staff@myDomain.com, the exchange server actually processes that to send to all the internal email boxes assigned to the list.

if i send from an outside source, the emails usually go intoa black hole and are not processed, unless the exchange administrator opens the specific distribution list up to the public.

you'll want to get with whoever runs the mail server to allow your list to be access from the public, i think.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• mvillegascuellar (6/22/2012)

Hi thanks for the response,

But the distribution list is created in the domain, so it is visible from every other computer. I tested it from other computers and works correctly.

Is it SSL enabled? if it is ask the administrator to open it for the computer from where mail is sent.

Regards
    Durai Nagarajan

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply