Database mail setup on DMZ

• Hi all,

I have a SQL server on the DMZ, and would like to receive email alerts through the database mail feature. This is not currently working, no doubt having to do with the way DMZ is seperate from the LAN. I am pointing to our exchange server website in the "Server name" field and using anonymous authentication, just like the other SQL servers on the LAN on which this feature is working.

Thoughts?

• Have you verified with your networking team that smtp communications are open between your database server in the DMZ and your exchange server?

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• I will need to check with our exchange guy but I tested and it appears that port 25 is open. I got up to step 4 using this testing method: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/153119

So it could possibly be something on the exchange server blocking this.

One worrying thing is I wanted to double check that the database mail feature was enabled via SQL Server 2005 Surface Area Configuration > Surface Area Configuration For Features and received a "Failed to connect to server localhost. Login failed for user ..." I am logged in with the admin account.

Thoughts on that?

• Local Admin, Domain Admin, or something else?

Is the service running off of a service account or is it running off network service or something else?

Is the server clustered?

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (5/19/2010)

Local Admin, Domain Admin, or something else?

Is the service running off of a service account or is it running off network service or something else?

Is the server clustered?

Hey Jason, it is a local admin account as this server is not on the domain. The error is related to the local admin account.

SS Config Manager states the login as "NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService" for all MSSQL services.

The server is not clustered.

• Bump.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply