Database Mail: sending to multiple recipients from tables

• I am using database mail to send emails to our Lotus Notes SMTP server using sp_send_dbmail. I want to accomplish the following.

I have maintained department-wise users email address in one table .  Now I want to send mail to one particular department and there can be 1-15 users as recipient for that mail.  How can I do that using sp_send_dbmail?

• You have to generate the ';' seperated list ...here is example...

declare

@i varchar(1000)

select

@i = ''

select

@i = @i+';'+name from sysobjects where id <10

select

@i

MohammedU
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

• DECLARE @email VARCHAR(4000)

SET @email = ''

SELECT @email = RTRIM(@email) + RTRIM(email) + ';'

FROM Users

WHERE email <> '' AND DepCode = 'A'

execute sp_send_dbmail --

--setting @recipient to @email

@recipient = @email

Thanx for help

• You got it..

If your email id datatype is varchar then you don't need to use RTRIM function...

MohammedU
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

• I went for an interview today and they explaind their current issue with sql2005 as a problem getting sql2005 to mail their lotus notes users. I suggested xp sendmail with a caveat it may not support 2005.

But i would be interested how to set up win 2003 to use sp_send_dbmail im presming the outlook client is still required?

Cheers

• There is no longer a need for an email client when using sp_send_dbmail with SQL Server 2005.  There is also a way to use the CDO object in SQL 2000 that eliminates the email client as well.  Let me know and I'll send you a stored proc for that one.

Marvin Dillard
    Senior Consultant
    Claraview Inc

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply