Database mail not sending to accounts outside our domain

• Hi all,

having an issue with database mail. im tryin to send email to external accounts to our domain and am getting a failed on the messages. Any email i send internally works fine. Can anyone point me in the right direction to solving this ?

N.

• Database Mail uses SMTP to send messages. If you are using a mail server like Exchange, SMTP relays to external email addresses needs to be enabled. Be sure to secure it properly so your server does not get used as a spam relay.

• Cheers for the reply. does this need to be enabled on the exchange server? or as a local service on the sql server? Not fimiliar with exchange..

• Ok, if you are using Exchange and that is what you have configured as the SMTP server for database mail, there are configurations on the exchange server for allowing AMTP relaying. I think the default is to only allow relaying to addresses in the GAL, but your exchange admin should be able to help you get this set up.

• It might be that you have multiple SMTP servers and need to point to the one that will route to external addresses. For example, the configuration below would use the perimter SMTP server, not Exchange, in a database mail configuration.

[font="Courier New"][client]---[Exchange]---[perimeter SMTP]---[Internet][/font]

• Cheers. will get on to the exchange admin and see if i can get it sorted with them.

Thanks.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply