Database Mail

• Hi,

I have set up database mail and it worked for three months but from last three days when a scheduled job fails it shows me "the operator notified through mail" but i receive no mails.

when i run sp_send_dbmail procedure through query analyzer it shows mail queued but nothing appears in databasemaillogviewer and not it send emails. I have check net connection and sql agent settins. Every thing is Ok.

what should i do. Thanks in advance.

• Database Mail is enable for Database Instance?

• you can enable it from

Database Mail Configuration Wizard -> the SQL Server Surface Area Configuration tool OR sp_configure.

• When you create and send a test-mail, do you recieve this mail?

Try following the steps provided in the topic "Troubleshoot Database Mail" in BOL.

** Don't mistake the ‘stupidity of the crowd’ for the ‘wisdom of the group’! **
  • did you look in the database mail logs? is it possible your email client is putting the mail in a junk mail folder or something of that nature?

• Definitely check the database mail log. Check to see are there any changes to your email server which you use for database mail as well.

• Definately check the SQL Error logs (Database Mail and SQL Server). I recently had an issue where I added a domain user account to the mssqlserver service and this caused no mail to be sent. It ended up being an issue with how I had SQL Mail SMTP Authentication set. I originally had it set as Windows Auth and had to change to Anonymous Auth. Anyway good luck.

-cm

• I had a similar problem. Database mail apparently worked for over a year and then stopped working. The key to this was looking over the log. Some EMail was being sent and other EMail wasn't.

The problem was that any EMail being sent within the domain was working and all EMail going outside of the domain didn't get sent and there was an error message. It seemed that the ISP considered database mail, since it wasn't being sent through a normal EMail client program, to be possible SPAM and it wasn't being sent.

We switched to Google Apps as our main EMail application and still couldn't get database mail to go out. Again Google doesn't like being hijacked for SPAM.

The final solution was to set up a Unix based box with Zimbra on it as an SMTP server only for database mail. That has been working fine for months now.

Todd Fifield

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply