Database in Suspect Mode

• We are using a tool called DoubleTake to migrate SANs, It is suppose to handle everything. When we got ready to switch we just took sql server offline and change the volume letters and started sql server.

When it came up the database was in Suspect mode. I found this page http://gargmanoj.wordpress.com/2008/07/17/how-to-repair-a-sql-server-2005-suspect-database/

When I run DBCC CheckDB (‘yourDBname’, REPAIR_ALLOW_DATA_LOSS) I get this error message:

DBCC results for 'DW'.

CHECKDB found 0 allocation errors and 0 consistency errors in database 'DW'.

Msg 824, Level 24, State 2, Line 1

SQL Server detected a logical consistency-based I/O error: incorrect pageid (expected 1:67666937; actual 0:0). It occurred during a read of page (1:67666937) in database ID 5 at offset 0x000081107f2000 in file 'F:\SQL Server Database Files\DW\DW1.mdf'. Additional messages in the SQL Server error log or system event log may provide more detail. This is a severe error condition that threatens database integrity and must be corrected immediately. Complete a full database consistency check (DBCC CHECKDB). This error can be caused by many factors; for more information, see SQL Server Books Online.

SQL Server detected a logical consistency-based I/O error: incorrect pageid (expected 1:67666937; actual 0:0). It occurred during a read of page (1:67666937) in database ID 5 at offset 0x000081107f2000 in file 'F:\SQL Server Database Files\DW\DW1.mdf'. Additional messages in the SQL Server error log or system event log may provide more detail. This is a severe error condition that threatens database integrity and must be corrected immediately. Complete a full database consistency check (DBCC CHECKDB). This error can be caused by many factors; for more information, see SQL Server Books Online.

Msg 7909, Level 20, State 1, Line 1

The emergency-mode repair failed.You must restore from backup.

We are now using RichCopy to copy the database offline, any suggestions on why this happened?

• did you take your db offline _before_ the file copies / lun copies?

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• Short answer: Portions of the database file were zero'd out. Maybe due to the software, maybe due to a faulty IO subsystem. Can't be sure.

I would suggest some diagnostics and checks of the SAN to rule out the new SAN as a possible cause.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • ALZDBA (7/8/2011)

did you take your db offline _before_ the file copies / lun copies?

nope, this DoubleTake software is suppose to replicate in real time.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply