Database files keep changing???

• Hey

I seem to have a problem when i try to increase initial size of the database files by 2GB it executes and then i check and all is well with the sizes... but i'll check again in 20min and the file sizes return to there original size

what can i do to fix this???

• Do you have the AutoShrink option switched on for the database?

• I suspect that the database has "Auto Shrink" turned on.

Run this:

ALTER DATABASE [DBNAME] SET AUTO_SHRINK OFF and see if it still happens.

• Auto shrink is set to false! and still happening

i cant understand this?? can you say wierd:D

• Does it happen regularly (is it ALWAYS 20 minutes)? It could be a SQL Agent job? AutoShrink runs every 30 minutes, so that is why it was an immediate first guess.

You can put a profile trace on the server, filter the TextData column for %SHRINK% . Make certain that login, host name, application, and database name are in your data column list. That should tell you where the shrink is coming from.

Kyle

• what version sql server are you using?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• SQL 2005 Enterprize edition!!

Iv tried everything mentioned in this here forum thingie its happening..

• Check your log files in a log parser (ApexSQL has one of those, so does Lumigent). The shrink file command should be in there, and it will have data on where the command is coming from.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Run a trace. There must be some shrink command being run.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply