database diagram tool for a database with 100's of tables

• Im trying to create a database diagram of our database which has a lot of tables. When I create it using SQL Server database diagram, everythings comes out so tiny you can not read it (because there are so many tables). Is there another way to create the database diagram and be able to view it in Word or another application? Is there a free third party tool that helps create a readable database diagram for a large database? Im using SQL 2005.

• There are lots of professional tools.

Visio

Erwin

etc.

• Thank you! Do you prefer one of the other? I just downloaded visio and will play with that a little.

Thanks again!

• They are small because Diagrammer tries to fit all of them to screen size. Increase zoom to 100 or 75% for better readability.

You can also copy it to Clipboard for further loading in a image software for saving.

• I used PowerDesigner before (older version for SQL2000). There is a reverse engineering feature which allows you to run against an existing database and produce the diagram/report. The reports can be exported to Word format and printed out. You can group the tables from the diagram to make more sense for reviewing.

New version has trail download and supports SQL2005.

Visio is very basic comparing with PowerDesigner from DB design perspective.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply