Database design tutorials

• Hi All,

I have been responsible for administrating my companies sql databases for a number of years now, however I have never actually built my own database from scratch and I am very rusty on database design.... the last time did build one was over 12 years ago in MS access. I am looking for a good source of tutorials with practicals/labs (video or books, but preferably video), that I can use to teach me from scratch in SQL server 2008 +. Any suggestions are welcome... as long as they are polite.;-)

• acrutchley (1/6/2012)

I have been responsible for administrating my companies sql databases for a number of years now, however I have never actually built my own database from scratch and I am very rusty on database design.... the last time did build one was over 12 years ago in MS access. I am looking for a good source of tutorials with practicals/labs (video or books, but preferably video), that I can use to teach me from scratch in SQL server 2008 +. Any suggestions are welcome... as long as they are polite.;-)

Please take a look at the link next, it may help to refresh some concepts http://www.phlonx.com/resources/nf3/

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • Louis Davidson's books on database design.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • In addition to Louis Davidsons book, I would look at getting invoulved with a local User Group, and network as much as you can. One of the best things that you need to rely on when designing a database is experiance. If you don't have it, then a network of professionals can help you work around some of the hard questions.

Chris

• Hi Chris

Thanks for your reply, can you expand on local user groups... I am the only DBA in my company.... well the only person who deals with databases so I dont really have anybody that I can shadow local.

Thanks in advance.

Adam

• A good place to start is SQLPASS.org

But search the web for your town and SQL Server User Group. If there isn't one near by, look for like technologies or you may want to consider starting one. If you want more info on how to start one, let us know. There are many people here that can help.

If nothing else there are a bunch of Virtual groups and well.... Here is a great place to ask questions as well.

• If you can afford, many trainers / training institutes provide data modelling tutorials & samples etc. Please google for it & search for a trainer in your area. Else online tutors are also available.

• Make sure you check this out as well.

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/stairway/72400/

• Also, check sqlsaturday.com for an event near you. This is another way to learn DBA skills, from the best, for free.

PS: Mr. Shaw there just ran an event in Colorado Springs that was excellent! Thanks Chris.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply