Database context

• I'am using the following query in query analyser(QA) to get the table name and  rows in a user defined tables.

SELECT  TOP 20 db_name()[Database], OBJECT_NAME(id)[Table], Rows

FROM  [Northwind].dbo.sysindexes

WHERE  indid < 2

AND id in (SELECT OBJECT_ID(NAME) FROM [Northwind].[dbo].[sysobjects] WHERE type = 'U')

AND rows > 1000

ORDER BY ROWS DESC

But what its returning  is - results of database which is selected in the combo box in the tool bar of the QA instead of [Northwind]

Any tips on how to make it work - I don't want to use the statement -

USE <database>

• Try This

sp_MSforeachdb 'use ? SELECT  TOP 20 db_name()[Database], OBJECT_NAME(id)[Table], Rows

FROM  sysindexes

WHERE  indid < 2

AND id in (SELECT OBJECT_ID(NAME) FROM [sysobjects] WHERE type = ''U'')

AND rows > 1000

ORDER BY ROWS DESC '

-- Amit

"There is no 'patch' for stupidity."

Download the Updated SQL Server 2005 Books Online.

• Thanks Amit,

but I'am unable to understand, why my query is not working..what might be wrong with it

• Object_id , db_name and object_name are functions that work in current database only.

that's the reason why your inner query SELECT OBJECT_ID(NAME) FROM [Northwind].[dbo].[sysobjects] WHERE type = 'U' will mostly return NULLS and hence no results in your main query.

If you write your query as following, row count will come from Northwind but the db_name and object_name will be as from current db.

SELECT  TOP 20 db_name()[Database], OBJECT_NAME(i.id)[Table], Rows

FROM  [Northwind].dbo.sysindexes I INNER JOIN [Northwind].[dbo].[sysobjects] O ON (O.ID = I.ID )

WHERE  I.indid < 2

AND O.TYPE = 'U'

AND I.rows > 10

ORDER BY ROWS DESC

And following will give table name and rowcount from Northwind but database name to be your current database.

SELECT  TOP 20 db_name()[Database], o.name [Table], Rows

FROM  [Northwind].dbo.sysindexes I INNER JOIN [Northwind].[dbo].[sysobjects] O ON (O.ID = I.ID )

WHERE  I.indid < 2

AND O.TYPE = 'U'

AND I.rows > 10

ORDER BY ROWS DESC

-- Amit

"There is no 'patch' for stupidity."

Download the Updated SQL Server 2005 Books Online.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply