Database archive ? - Fast help please.....

• Hi All,

I have a database sql server 2005. Which have a database for the process of Accounts (INDAcc). There are morethan 400 tables. I need to archive the data in these tables which are older than 6 months data. The tables in the db are as 'INDAcc....', which has common column as DateCreated

Do we have any tools to archive the data for all the tables - i need to maintain another DB in another server for these archived data. And i want this to be automated , as if its a procedure, then procedure can be called once in everymonth thru job.

Fast help required....!!!

Help me to resolve this.... any Links , scripts, procedures, tools please...

Cheers,
    - Win.

" Have a great day "

• Hi

You can use BCP or just insert into table command, remember that you have to do it table by table basics, or you can use SSIS to do this,

Hope this helps 🙂

• winslet (7/13/2009)Do we have any tools to archive the data for all the tables

Yes!... all you need is get hold of B.R.A.I.N. then plan your archive & purge strategy, write the code, test it and deploy it in production 😀

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • Thanks for the replies.

can any one suggest me to proceed further, am not that much great into code writing other than DBA concepts...

Please do the needful..

Cheers,
    - Win.

" Have a great day "

• Any one to suggest or help ...??

Cheers,
    - Win.

" Have a great day "

• http://www.google.com:-D

• Please mail me at manujaidka@gmail.com. I might be able to assist you here.

MJ

• MANU (7/14/2009)

Please mail me at manujaidka@gmail.com. I might be able to assist you here.

Are you selling Consulting Services perhaps? 😀

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • The problem is that archiving typically isn't something that can just be thrown together quickly. It takes careful planning and testing to get it right. If this is an ongoing requirement, partitioned tables can be very helpful, but again, this isn't something that you can just throw together with a simple script or ready-made tool.

/*****************

If most people are not willing to see the difficulty, this is mainly because, consciously or unconsciously, they assume that it will be they who will settle these questions for the others, and because they are convinced of their own capacity to do this. -Friedrich August von Hayek

*****************/

• select * into testdb.dbo.Dest_Tbl from Source_Tbl where createdwhen < dateadd(month,-6,getdate())

this is only for one table

lets try some thing with this

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply