Database and Log backup

• A smaller backup size is usually due to using 'compression' when backing up the database.

Are you using third-party software to do your backups?

-SQLBill

• SQLBill,

SQL doesn't include the allocated, but unused space in the backup.  As an example, I just backed up my "DBA" database on a test server.

From EM Taskpad -

data file  31MB , 29MB used

log file    17.8MB, 4MB used

Total      48.8MB, 33MB

Backed up database using EM, backup file is 29.13MB.

Steve

• Steve,

There is no possibility of appending, each file has a distinct name (db_sat, db_sun, ...)

they're circulated weekly, but prev one is deleted before new one is created (e.g. for saturday backup, previous existing db_sat is deleted first)

Igor,

My recovery model is FULL

My application does not do any bulk-logged operations

SQLBill,

Im not using any third-party software to do my backups

This is becoming more mysterious everyday, but i'm sure we'll find out the reason, only hope it will not be a "silly" one, like overlooking something or such

Thank you all for your efforts, really feeling a bond with all of you there!

EM

• How about DBCC OPENTRAN ?

Check "Long-Running Transactions" topic in BOL.

Igor

• Db does not have any long running transactions, these would have been immediatly detected and rolledback by the application, anyhow checked and found none

The funny thing now is that on some days the DB backup file size is about 3 GB (proper size, this is how it should be), on other days it is 14.7 GB !!!

log backup never exceeds 3 GB

no diff in backup process, command used, time , schedule, system conditions, network, clients, app and users between these days (as far as I know till now)

EM

• Do you have 'Auto Shrink' option enabled by any chance?

Can you restore (on the test server) your 14.7 GB backup and tell size of data and log files.

Igor

• do u append on your backup File ? this may be the reason of your problem

Also .. try to Shrink your Db ... and everything will be fine after that

I hope this help u.

Alamir Mohamed
    Alamir_mohamed@yahoo.com

• Hi,

It looks like some gentlemen when they write replys they base it only on the last post in the forum.

I'd say that for someone to post a reply he should read the thread from the begining to to know all the problem symptoms

This is a quote from a previous reply in this thread:

"There is no possibility of appending, each file has a distinct name (db_sat, db_sun, ...)

they're circulated weekly, but prev one is deleted before new one is created (e.g. for saturday backup, previous existing db_sat is deleted first) "

thank you all

EM

• here's something else to try -

use DBCC cleantable on all of your tables to see if there is any space to free up (after your migration from sybase)

this is wasted space (not free space) and maybe can shrink the data.

of course this won't solve the mystery of your backup size, but can i point out that is bad practice to delete your backup before you've sucessfully creasted your new backup. - what happens if it fails??

MVDBA

• i've just re-read some of the posts - you say that on some days it is the correct size ?

are you doing any overnight batch processing - a reindex or something? make sure your backup is not conflicting with this.

try a manual backup several times and see if the size is consistently right.

if so - bingo - some sort of timing issue

MVDBA

• by the way , i think that reindex DB make backup file after it bigger in size ..

do u do this?

Alamir Mohamed
    Alamir_mohamed@yahoo.com

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply