Data Vices

• Compassion to all the smokers out there-and in my own life.

I lost my mother to lung cancer in 2006-I was her primary care giver.

I've been surrounded by smokers since childhood and know the devastation and guilt that can be carried by a smoker and the difficulty of quitting. Because of this history I now carry a hard line on the issue. I don't want to be around the smell or the mess in my own life. As yoda said "do, or do not. There is no try". A smoker "trying to quit" is a smoker. Keep trying anyway!!

Caffiene is as devastating to the cardiovascular system as smoking is to the respiratory system-there is simply far less public awareness-at least for now. That is changing.

My personal vices:

1-currently under management-is dark chocolate. I'd walk 10 miles for 85% Cacao.

2-Regular cardiovascular exercise. Try and try again!!! This year I've added monthly 5k walks to my regimen. Next year 2 per month for motivation. In 5 years-a 1/2 marathon or Ironman!! (roar)

My work vice-snap decision making before the facts are in and interupting others when they are speaking. I'm aware of it and working on patience.

• coffee is my worst enemy, I suffer from Anxiety and Panic attacks, caffee increases my heartbeats and causes anxiety.

I tried to stop, but coffee is just something I need to start a day with, to wake me up.

I really don't have any other vice. πŸ™‚

-------------------------------------------------------------
    "It takes 15 minutes to learn the game and a lifetime to master"
    "Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality."

• Want more productive time at home?

Turn off the TV.

I don't even own one anymore. I watch movies on my pc-no TV.

Dev

• Sorin Petcu (12/5/2008)

Oh, I hate smoking and its effect!! There are many peoples here where I am working who go out of the building and smoke. This is wasting of time. This time I am still working. So many opportunities to waste the time! Horror!

Heh... yeah... but because smokers talk with each other about work out on the smoking deck, they end up having their fingers on the pulse of the company... lots'o work and great ideas come about from the smoking deck.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Heh... I do smoke, but it's better than fuming. πŸ˜› and, I drink about 3 to 4 quarts of coffee a day which is still less Caffeine than someone with a "Dew" habit. Despite those bad habits, I'm improving... I'm down to only 6 or 7 "WTFs" a day. :hehe:

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (12/5/2008)

Sorin Petcu (12/5/2008)

Oh, I hate smoking and its effect!! There are many peoples here where I am working who go out of the building and smoke. This is wasting of time. This time I am still working. So many opportunities to waste the time! Horror!

Heh... yeah... but because smokers talk with each other about work out on the smoking deck, they end up having their fingers on the pulse of the company... lots'o work and great ideas come about from the smoking deck.

True, us non-smokers are forced to catchup on these things around the water cooler, coffe pot, or restroom πŸ˜€

Coffee may be as bad as cigs but in what amounts? 2,3,4 cups/day I doubt are anywhere near harmful than what a "routine" smoker smokes. Unless you guys are drinking like 10 cups a day :unsure:

• I ahve noticed that 2 smokers who don’t know each other will at least say β€œHi” when standing next to each other outside. Two non-smokers can sit next to each other in a lobby or Starbucks and never even nod let alone talk. Are smokers more inclusive than nonsmokers?

I believe Jeff is correct in stating that smokers tend to have more of a pulse on the company than non-smokers. I believe this is simply because they talk.

But I can tell you that your brain is hardwired as a smoker to withhold ideas and solutions until you give it nicotine. When you quit you do become angry and stupid (always a great combination). It passes. Great ideas come from everywhere, not just the smoking deck. As a smoker you are rendered stupid until you get your fix or wean.

• Jeff,

Love your point about keeping your finger on the pulse. A colleague and I take regular smoke breaks which we have dubbed "IT meetings" because no matter what, that's what the conversation is almost always about. When members of other departments are outside on smoke break we usually talk about new products, new features, and other things going on within the company.

As for coffee, I don't know how I missed that one on my list. I measure my intake in pots of coffee per day, not cups. :w00t:

Cheers!

• Jack Corbett (12/5/2008)

My major issues are diet (I hate veggies and love chocolate), procrastination, and eating out. I'd go out for every meal if I could afford it.

Chocolate itself is actually fine. Dark chocolate (with none of the other accoutrements) is often enough on various diets. It's all of the OTHER junk we add to chocolate....:)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Don't smoke, never have, but I have to say having someone regularly grab me to come chat outside was something I enjoyed, being upwind of course.

• Started smoking again in March after 8 years clean. It was a crutch and I have to knock it off, but I'm not doing so well.

• Jeff Moden (12/5/2008)

Sorin Petcu (12/5/2008)

We only have one smoker at our company, but there seems to be a pretty decent amount of hanging out by other peoples' cubes for a chat in the middle of the day. The gossip does eventually get around πŸ™‚

--
    Anye Mercy
    "Service Unavailable is not an Error" -- John, ENOM support
    "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -- Inigo Montoya in "Princess Bride"
    "Civilization exists by geologic consent, subject to change without notice." -- Will Durant

• pmcpherson (12/5/2008)

I ahve noticed that 2 smokers who don’t know each other will at least say β€œHi” when standing next to each other outside. Two non-smokers can sit next to each other in a lobby or Starbucks and never even nod let alone talk. Are smokers more inclusive than nonsmokers?

I believe Jeff is correct in stating that smokers tend to have more of a pulse on the company than non-smokers. I believe this is simply because they talk.

But I can tell you that your brain is hardwired as a smoker to withhold ideas and solutions until you give it nicotine. When you quit you do become angry and stupid (always a great combination). It passes. Great ideas come from everywhere, not just the smoking deck. As a smoker you are rendered stupid until you get your fix or wean.

Heh... do you smoke?

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Juggling time is my pain point and all the facets of life involved. Hard to perform what I would call a good job in all areas of life at the same time. I can feel great about a few on any given week, but something always is out of balance. To much to do, and not enough time. For example:

Education and investigation for payable skills (like school, coding, management, user groups, etc.).

Education for personal growth and development (like health, arts, communication, attitude, etc.).

Education for things that just pique my interest (like history, language, space, etc.)

Work (everything that provides for the needs of my family and others I care for).

Finances (part of work in my book... but significant extra)

Family (Spouse, Children, Extended Family, etc.).

Exercise (getting better, but wholly inadequate for needs).

Community Service (including city, politics, neighborhood, etc.)

Faith-Based Service (church, charities, Scouting, etc.).

Home Repair and Improvement (Bath, patio, family room, sprinklers, etc.)

Recreation (what is this anyway???).

Hobbies (to many to list, but top is woodwork).

Quiet time (my favorite, often linked with Spouse time... just relaxing, and letting the worries go).

Be.

• Heh... do you smoke?

Used to. Smoked for 16 years. Quit 2 summers ago, see other posts under this thread. It only :rolleyes: took me about 2 years to quit and feel quit. Quitting is very subtlely difficult. I wish it was more of a head on battle, it would be easier.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 104 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply