Data Quality on the Open Web

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (9/21/2011)

GSquared (9/21/2011)

On the point of Linux "not taking over the world", keep in mind that iOS and Android are both *nix-based systems, as is OS X. So *nix may very well be taking over the personal computing universe, just not in the form of "desktop Linux".

Perhaps, but these aren't really open sourced takeovers. We are looking for companies here that are standing behind a specific version of the product. There's some good networking code from OpenBSD (or FreeBSD) in Windows.

Yep. It's just an amusing view on the thing.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• djackson 22568 (9/21/2011)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (9/21/2011)

djackson 22568 (9/21/2011)

And you want us to worry about things like whether a business is closed?

We are fighting against significant odds of success. I would love to see our profession improve, I just don't see how it is going to happen to any large degree.

It's not worry about a business being closed, the point was that data quality can be an issue if you are pulling data from unreliable sources, like social/community/crowd sources.

We are definitely going uphill, but it takes each person making a small effort to make a change.

I got the point, I was attempting to use what might be called an idiom. "You", did not mean you Steve Jones. Maybe I should have said "someone" or "they" or something else, but none of those fit either.

Yes it does take each person making a small effort. My point is that while that goal is laudable, I don't believe it is realistic. That doesn't change the fact that we should try, rather it is meant to speak to what I believe is the likely outcome. I think there are far more people expending energy on hurting others through a number of means, and the majority of us have learned to either sit back and ignore it, or to watch it for entertainment. Sad, but unfortunately true.

... insert quote about Kitty Genovese here ...

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (9/21/2011)

And you want us to worry about things like whether a business is closed?

We are fighting against significant odds of success. I would love to see our profession improve, I just don't see how it is going to happen to any large degree.

It's not worry about a business being closed, the point was that data quality can be an issue if you are pulling data from unreliable sources, like social/community/crowd sources.

We are definitely going uphill, but it takes each person making a small effort to make a change.

The point of crowdsourcing is to make data gathering as inexpensive as possible.

Google could, theoretically, hire a whole bunch of data clerks. They would validate, probably by phone calls or whatever, the business locations in the cities they are trying to map. It would take a lot of work and a lot of money.

Instead, they opt for "hey, we can get it virtually for free by just crowdsourcing!" They get what they paid for.

Data: You can have it fast, you can have it right, and you can have it cheap - pick two.

Property of The Thread

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (9/22/2011)

Yes it does take each person making a small effort. My point is that while that goal is laudable, I don't believe it is realistic. That doesn't change the fact that we should try, rather it is meant to speak to what I believe is the likely outcome. I think there are far more people expending energy on hurting others through a number of means, and the majority of us have learned to either sit back and ignore it, or to watch it for entertainment. Sad, but unfortunately true.

I think you're correct overall. And it's sad. I do think that those that do try to make the world a better place, do so. In only small cases, but it's better than nothing.

🙂

Dave

• David.Poole (9/23/2011)

There are open-source datasets out there but by their nature they can harbour crap data.

I know of an occassion where someone didn't like the way that the Balleric Islands were listed under Spain so they duplicated them in the geographic hierachy thereby creating inaccurate data.

Common. I was at Disney World recently and saw an employee with a name badge that referenced his country. I won't mention it here as there is no reason to, and it might offend people, but the country DOES NOT EXIST!!! Simply wishing it were true does not make it so. Where I work, nurses ask for things to be put on their badge but it is not allowed unless it is in the computer. If you have a BSN, show the proof, then you can get it on your badge. If you are from the United States of David is King, prove it!

Dave

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply