Data missing from transaction log

• Heres the story.  I have a 3rd party app that due to Sarbox we are auditing using Entegra.

The database is in full recovery mode and we take a transaction log backups every 2 hours with a full each night.

I noticed some updated columns did not appear in the audit report, the only item reported to be changed was the timestamp column for the table. The main table in question has 219 columns, and has a max possible size of 9000 bytes, plue 3 text fields. (Though the rows in question are only using maybe a 1000 bytes)

I called lumigent support and we started to dig with Log Explorer and as of right now it appears that either log explorer is not showing all the data from the log or SQL Server is not captureing all the data in the transaction log.  I have modified various columns and watched it with Log explorer and from what I can see is that any changes to columns past ordinal 78, with the exception of a timestamp column does not show the updated values in the transaction log.

Has anyone seen this before?

Any suggestions of tools or methods to further inspect the transaction log to see if maybe this a Lumigent issue or SQL server issue. 

My next thought is do a restore with transaction logs to see if everything restores as expected.

If it does then I would be led to believe its a lumigent issue.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Quick Update: It appears that this may be a lumigent bug that is in both Entegra and Log Explorer.

After a couple hours of testing I discovered that the issue appears to affect tables that have a break in column ordinals.  If you have break from 65 - 70 in columns ordinals for a table all data in columns with an ordinal value > 70 are suspect.  Sometimes it gets it, sometimes it doesn't. Typically if the 2 columns prior to the column being changed are null the change will be reported as the column prior being set to an empty string and the column you changed being shown as null. Kind of odd but it could have some major implications for both products.

I have provided Lumigent with my finding and they are currently investigating on their end.

Hopefully they will send me an update soon.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply