Data Migration from Oracle 9i to SQL Server 2005

• Hi Everyone,

Can anybody explain me the process of data migration from Oracle9i to SQL server 2005? I have no idea about..

How it works

What are the different ways to migrate

What is the best tool to use?

Is there any way to migrate data from oracle to SQL server other than using SSMA tool?

Please somrbody help me to understand concepts!!!! :blink:

• Hi neelamani,

The issue is discussed in details in the same forum.

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic533065-1042-1.aspx

I took help from SSMA in converting the code.

To migrate the data, I used SSIS (SQL Server Integration Services). SSIS is the best way in my view to migrate the data but not the only way. You can migrate data using the open query or linked server.

Sincerely,

Mazharuddin

-----------------------------------------------------------[font=Arial Black]Time Is Money[/font][font=Arial Narrow]Calculating the Number of Business Hours Passed since a Point of Time[/url][/font][font=Arial Narrow]Calculating the Number of Business Hours Passed Between Two Points of Time[/font]

• Hi Mazharuddin,

Thanks lot for the info. Microsoft's document really helped me to understand better.

Could you pls share the below info as you had worked on migration project (Oracle to SQL server)

What was the size of the Oracle datasource in your project?

How many objects(Tables,Stored rocedures,functions,exception blocks,lines of code) did you migrate for that particular project?

Which area of migration created problems?

What was the share of SSMA in migration?

How much time did it take to complete the migration?

I know, i asked too many questions. Your asnswers will be most valuble for my next project.

Thanks a lot in advance:)

Neela

• In fact I handled a complete re-engineering project. The data migration was a part of it.

Data Base:

From Oracle7 Server Release 7.3.4.0.0 to MS SQL Server 2005

Application:

Oracle Developer 6.0.5 to ASP.NET C#, SQL Server Reporting Services

Application deployment mode:

Client Server to Web based

For me the data migration was the easier one to do.

-----------------------------------------------------------[font=Arial Black]Time Is Money[/font][font=Arial Narrow]Calculating the Number of Business Hours Passed since a Point of Time[/url][/font][font=Arial Narrow]Calculating the Number of Business Hours Passed Between Two Points of Time[/font]

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply