data integrity verification

• I am thinking about moving some backups from the local machine to a remote server. Right now, I am using Ola Hallengren script for backups. The script performs checksum on the backup while it's being written on the disk. I am going to move the files using Robocopy utility. How do I check the data integrity once the backups are transferred to the remote server?

• If I understand correctly, you want to check the data integrity of a database backup file that was moved to a remote server, Is that correct?

• yes, that's correct.

• I don't see if there is a value to do a check again as you already did when it written to the local disk.

Why not do your database backup directly to the remote server?

• Well, We are running out of disk space in the production environment and I am supposed to archive some of the older backups to a shared folder located in our 2nd data center. While, I figured out how to run a Windows job using PowerShell to move the files, i don't know how to check database integrity.

• The single best validation is to use the backup to restore a database. But, the second best validation is to use RESTORE... VERIFY_ONLY. I wrote an article about backup validation[/url] over at Simple-Talk.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply