CURSORS

• Each of my clients has its own database with all of the same obects. I often have to query data for all clients for internal reports. I have been using a cursor for the DB names to go through each DB and insert results into a table that I can select from. Is there a way to do this with out using a cursor or While loop?

• Yes, you can use temporary tables as an alternate depending on your goal.

EnjoY!
  • gilbert delarosa (3/12/2010)

Each of my clients has its own database with all of the same obects. I often have to query data for all clients for internal reports. I have been using a cursor for the DB names to go through each DB and insert results into a table that I can select from. Is there a way to do this with out using a cursor or While loop?

If all of the clients can be reached from the same server, then it becomes a little bit easier.

You could setup a job for each database that dumps the results to a central repository.

You could also query each of the databases with a union statement and a separate select for each database.

You could also create an SSIS package to pull the data for you.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Each of my clients has its own database with all of the same obects. I often have to query data for all clients for internal reports. I have been using a cursor for the DB names to go through each DB and insert results into a table that I can select from. Is there a way to do this with out using a cursor or While loop?

Use SQL Server 2008 SSMS (the servers can be any compatible version). 2008 SSMS enables you to run multi-server queries directly.

There's nothing wrong with a Cursor or While Loop in such a case because it won't be any kind of burden or performance issue.

You could, however, make a view with UNION ALL. If you're clever, you could automate the creation of such a view so you wouldn't have to manually make a change everytime a new B was created.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply