Cursor Performance

• I've worked for companies that bought software where you were unable to do your own patches because of the so called "support" contracts.  If you touch it, you break the contract and they have the legal right to remove their software because they still own it, as most software companies insist on doing.  Some of them won't even allow you to add an index or create a sister table.  It's one of those things that I watch for like a hawk when it comes to contracts now.  Unfortunately, I can't always sway the folks that have the purse strings. 

Then you have the ultimate in idiocy and that's where a company has paid through the nose for years of development and support and it still doesn't work.  When you suggest that they dump the vendor and do something different, they say "We've spent too much money on them to do that" and they say it year after year while they continue to spend money on something of such bad design that it can never be made to work.  Pure unmitigated lunacy.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Viewing post 16 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply