Cursor Not fetching next unless Clustered Index is dropped

• I've got a very strange problem with an updatable cursor not advancing.

The table has a non-clustered index on the compound Primary Key and a compound Clustered index on other fields. They share one or two fields in common.

The bit of code looks something like this:

FETCH NEXT FROM Employee_Cursor

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0

BEGIN

Update Tablename

Set Fieldname = @FieldNameValue

WHERE CURRENT OF Employee_Cursor

if @@ERROR > 0 BEGIN RETURN (SOMETHING) END

Insert into DebugTable (@FieldnameValue)

FETCH NEXT FROM Employee_Cursor

END

Now, the query that populates the cursor yields 57 rows. When this proc is run inside a transaction, the DebugTable gets thousands of inserts until the server crashes. The @FieldNameValue never moves to the next value in the cursor.

So, it looks like an infinite loop. The fix? I dropped the clustered index. The cursor then advances through all 57 iterations and finishes just dandy.

The problem is, that is such a cheese fix. I know it works, but I have no idea why. I've dropped an rebuilt the indexes/statistics over and over and get the same results.

Anyone have any ideas?

• Something isn't right, because the Return you're using there shouldn't be accepting a value. Where's the rest of the code?

I'd guess that something is causing the update to fail, which then instantiates the RETURN (breaks the loop), before hitting the next FETCH. Something is then restarting the loop, and thus the merry-go-round.

Of course - you're also not setting @fieldname in the while loop, so even IF the code got to the fetch, you'd executing the SAME update 57 times, since the @fieldname isn't changing.

please - post the valid code - it will actually help. Right now it's hard to decipher what's broken.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• It would probably be good if you would give the definition of the cursor and also the indexes of the table and the datatypes of the columns reference in the indexes -- basically the cursor definition and the important pieces of the table definition.

• at least a fetch should have an into section

FETCH NEXT FROM Employee_Cursor into @colvar1,@colvar2

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• I pseudocoded a lot of stuff in the example because I didn't think it would be important. I'll post the rest tonight.

• DECLARE myCursor CURSOR

LOCAL

FOR

SELECT UsgSvc.UsgSvcID, Customer.CustID, UsgSvcMultiProvision.StatusID, UsgSvc.DisconnectDate,

UsgSvcMultiProvision.ProvisioningCompanyID, UsgSvcMultiProvision.PICTypeID

FROM UsgSvc, Customer, UsgSvcMultiProvision

WHERE UsgSvc.CustID = Customer.CustID AND

UsgSvc.UsgSvcID = UsgSvcMultiProvision.UsgSvcID AND

UsgSvc.CustID = @CustID

SET @CgException=60000

SET @ErrorCode=0

SET @ErrorString=''

BEGIN

OPEN myCursor

FETCH NEXT FROM myCursor INTO @MPUsgSvcID, @MPCustID, @MPStatusID, @MPDisDate, @MPProvCoID, @MPPICTypeID

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0

BEGIN

IF @MPDisDate IS NULL OR @MPDisDate >= @DisconnectDate BEGIN

UPDATE UsgSvcMultiProvision

SET StatusID = @ProvStatusID

WHERE CURRENT OF myCursor

IF @@ERROR != 0 BEGIN

SET @ErrorString = 'Cannot update UsgSvcMultiProvision.StatusID for UsgSvcID ' + CONVERT(varchar, @MPUsgSvcID) + ' to ' + CONVERT(varchar, @ProvStatusID) + '.'

RETURN 1

END

END

FETCH NEXT FROM myCursor INTO @MPUsgSvcID, @MPCustID, @MPStatusID, @MPDisDate, @MPProvCoID, @MPPICTypeID

END

CLOSE myCursor

DEALLOCATE myCursor

END

RETURN 0

• The cursor is on a multi-table join, so I am not sure "WHERE CURRENT OF myCursor" can really be used there. I've never tried that so I don't really know, and I don't feel like testing it right now.

One thing you are not doing that would help you resolve this problem is to identify the actual error you are getting. You need to capture the value of @@error, and look at what it is. That's going to provide you more information than a 100 posts here.

• Well, I managed to fix this, but I'm still troubled by how I did it.

Ignore the code.

I dropped the clustered index and rebuilt it with a different name. Everything works fine now. This is after having tried rebuilding, defragging, integrety checking.

I'm thinking there was some corrupt stats or something that were persisting under the old name...

• Get rid of the cursor !

use this instead:

update P -- I supposed you want to modify UsgSvcMultiProvision.StatusID

SET StatusID = @ProvStatusID

FROM UsgSvc U

inner join Customer C

on U.CustID = C.CustID AND

inner join UsgSvcMultiProvision P

on U.UsgSvcID = P.UsgSvcID

where U.CustID = @CustID

and ( U.DisconnectDate IS NULL

OR U.DisconnectDate >= @DisconnectDate )

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply