Cursor - Multiple Writes

• Morning,

I have a cursor which joins 3 tables. I then examine each line and write to a DIFFERENT table depending on what each attribute value is. Part of the code is shown below.

IF @Stream1 <> '999'

BEGIN

INSERT INTO cvb_PDM_Streams (pdmID, StreamId) values (@pdsFileName_AUTO, @Stream1)

END

IF @Stream2 <> '999'

BEGIN

INSERT INTO cvb_PDM_Streams (pdmID, StreamId) values (@pdsFileName_AUTO, @Stream2)

END

My problem is that after one line has been written to the table cvb_PDM_Streams I am told that all future attempted writes are invalid as I am entering a duplicate primary key - (Violation of PRIMARY KEY constraint 'PK_cvb_PDM_Streams'. Cannot insert duplicate key in object 'cvb_PDM_Streams'.

The statement has been terminated.)

The table I am writing to has two attributes and together they make up a joint PK. Looking at the data produced by the join, there is not any duplicate data and therefore a duplicate PK is not possible. It is as if SQL was trying to write the same line twice.

Thoughts welcomed. Thanks.

Colin

• What are the values of @Stream1 and @Stream2

• Doh! As soon as you post, the fog lifts. I had an END before FETCH NEXT rather than after it! Seems to be working OK now. Thanks anyway.

Colin

PS the values are all INT

• 1.  in the code posted you are not writing to 2 different tables.

2. try to stay away from cursors....(bad, bad, bad...search here for reasons why this is true 99.99% of the time).  you would be far better off writing 2 different select statements on the lines of.

insert into tablea (col1,col2,col3, etc) select acol1, acol2, acol3, etc from intablea where @instream = '999'

and then

insert into tableb (col1,col2,etc) select bcol1, bcol2, etc from intableb where @instream <> '999'

cursors are like using tweezers to put sugar grains in a cup of tea....far easier to use a spoon!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply