Cumulative updates - SQL2008 R2 - clustered environment

• Hi,

I have a question about updates and hotfixes.

Regularly Microsoft releases cumulative updates. Most recent one in late February this year, according to this post:

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQL+Server+2008+R2/70092/

What is the best practice regarding updates? Should I apply the hotfixes as they come out or wait a while?

• In Microsoft's own words

"A supported cumulative update package is now available from Microsoft. it is intended to correct only the problems that are described in this article. Apply it only to systems that are experiencing these specific problems. This cumulative update package may receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by any of these problems, we recommend that you wait for the next SQL Server 2008 R2 service pack that contains the hotfixes in this cumulative update package."

So, I wouldn't worry about CUs unless you are experiencing the specific issues the CU addresses. Wait for Service Packs if you don't have any problems.

______________________________________________________________________________________________
    Forum posting etiquette.[/url] Get your answers faster.

• Thanks for this quick reply 🙂

I agree, it´s unnecessary to update with CU if there are no issues going on.

Does anybody know when SP1 will be released ( for sql server 2008 R2 )

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply