Cross Database Reference

• I have two Dbs ABC and XYZ

In XYZ DB i wrote 100's of stored procedures and functions in which i am using some queries which refer tables of

ABC DB for eg: select firstname from ABC.dbo.tbl_Details;(this is a SP in XYZ DB)

Now at the time of deployment in production Db or in future, Database name is different like ABC is now DEF. Now the

problem comes:

How can i change DB name in all places, consider sql server performance while answering

I have so many solutions in place but confused which is the best soltuion which will not effect SQL Server

performance and the code should not be hard coded.

Solutions are:

1. We can create Synonyms but synonyms are created at object(table) level so the number of synonyms created will be

high & will be equal to number of tables

Refer

Using Synonyms:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190626(v=SQL.100).aspx

Understanding Synonyms

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187552(v=SQL.100).aspx

2.Store the DB name in DB table and select that in variable in stored proc .(In case of DB name is changed, only DB

table need to be updated and no impact on code).

It will effect the sql Server performance.

3. Code needs to be scripted ( SSMS -> Database ->Tasks -> Generate Script) and renamed (Find and replace) in the

script.

i guess this is not a best solution, might be there are some cases where this will not work

4. Create a function like getParamValues ( Paramname) which will return the value for the corresponding Parameter

Name passed.

Call this function in the code.

It will become hardcoded and it would have some performance hit

5. Create Databse project but its a CLR based solution this also not suits with problem

Refer:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb386243(v=vs.80).aspx

Please reply asap.

Thanks in advance.

• Synonyms. It has problems, but less than the other options. I've tested this kind of thing, and synonyms worked best in my tests.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• I agree with Gus. Synonyms are the only way to go for something like this. With just a bit of dynamic SQL, you can "auto-magically" create them in about 2 heart beats.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• I am using Generate script. Am i doing corerect

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply