Creating new user and then granting access

• I have been asked a question that I am unsure of how to accurately answer. I know the answer for each part, but the WHY?? I"m confused.

Question asked:

I have a script I created that adds a new user group (off of our AD ) to a SQL Server, I then go to each individual database and run an addrole and not a create user.

Example of code:

USE MASTER

GO

IF EXISTS (SELECT * FROM sys.server_principals WHERE name = N'DOMAIN\HRO_QA')

DROP LOGIN [DOMAIN\HRO_QA]

GO

CREATE LOGIN [DOMAIN\HRO_QA] FROM WINDOWS WITH DEFAULT_DATABASE=[master], DEFAULT_LANGUAGE=[us_english]

GO

GRANT VIEW ANY DEFINITION TO [DOMAIN\HRO_QA]

/*now grant rights to inidividual databases*/

USE Applog

GO

EXEC sp_addrolemember 'db_datareader', 'DOMAIN\HRO_QA'

GO

I check everything out and the users can access their database still when this new AD group (with them added at the acitve directory level are in there).

The question I was asked was, why I chose not to put a CREATE USER?

Everything has created fine with the account people can access exactly what they need to, so why I would/would not user CREATE USER?

Do I have to?

If not, can someone explain why?

Thank you.

JJ:hehe:

• I think that it's because a group used as a login, as in this case, doesn't need the user to be added.

FYI, with 2005, you ought to be using ALTER ROLE instead (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189775.aspx)

• I think he means, Why he didn't have to create a database user(DOMAIN\HRO_QA)for the active directory group server login in the database.

well the answer is the sp_addrolemember proc checks where the user you are adding to role exists as a user in the database and if not creates that user. You can verify this by running a profiler trace while you execute the sp_addrolemember proc.

Bob
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    How to post to get the best help[/url]

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply