Creating a temp table with dynamic SQL

• This is a weird one. We were sure we had it working before we changed the sizes of the data types, but now it seems the EXEC statement for the dynamic SQL isn't creating our temp table. Can someone double-check our code?

IF (SELECT OBJECT_ID('Tempdb..#tmp3')) IS NOT NULL
     DROP TABLE #tmp3;

DECLARE @StartingID INT = 92017;
    --This variable actually selects from a different table & instance
    --I hardcoded the number for convenience's sake

Declare @mysql varchar(200)=
    'CREATE Table #tmp3 (PID INT,
    MyTableID INT IDENTITY(' + CONVERT(varchar(10), @StartingID + ', 1),
    VAcct varchar(100),
    AID INT,
    CreatedOn DATETIME,
    SNumber varchar(100)) '

SELECT @mysql;

EXEC (@mysql);
    GO

SELECT * FROM #tmp3;

The error we're getting is:

Msg 208, Level 16, State 0, Line 2
    Invalid object name '#tmp3'

The weird thing is, the dynamic SQL works if we remove the # sign and make the temp table a regular table. But not if we leave it as a temp table. As I said, we're almost positive that we had it working before we fiddling with the varchar sizes to avoid some truncation issues. We even selected off the table when it was empty and after we inserted to make sure. But now it won't create the table either on my SSMS or my co-worker's SSMS. We're really confused with this.

Any thoughts?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• The temp table is created within the scope of the execution of the dynamic SQL and is not available to the outer process, because it's out of scope.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• This wouldn't work.

Temporary tables created in dynamic SQL can't be referenced by the parent batch.

The reverse can be done. You can create a temporary table in the parent batch and reference it in the dynamic SQL.

Cheers!

• it should work if you make it a global temp table using ##tmp3, instead of #tmp3

• If the seed is the only that would vary, you can avoid the dynamic sql.

IF (SELECT OBJECT_ID('Tempdb..#tmp3')) IS NOT NULL
    DROP TABLE #tmp3;

DECLARE @StartingID INT = 92017;
    --This variable actually selects from a different table & instance
    --I hardcoded the number for convenience's sake

CREATE Table #tmp3 (PID INT,
    MyTableID INT IDENTITY(1, 1),
    VAcct varchar(100),
    AID INT,
    CreatedOn DATETIME,
    SNumber varchar(100))

DBCC CHECKIDENT ('tempdb..#tmp3', reseed, @StartingID)

GO
    INSERT INTO #tmp3 (PID, VAcct, AID, CreatedOn, SNumber)
    VALUES( 1,'A',1,GETDATE(), '31');

SELECT * FROM #tmp3;

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • If you use a "sequence" object instead of an IDENTITY, there will be no need for a dynamic Temp Table nor even a need to determine what the next sequence number should be.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Brandie, you say you had this working before, even with the difference in scope?

• If it was working before, I have to assume that all references to the temp table were also within the dynamic sql.

DECLARE @sql VARCHAR(8000) = '
    IF OBJECT_ID(''tempdb..#tmp3'', ''U'') IS NOT NULL
    DROP TABLE #tmp3;

CREATE TABLE #tmp3 (
        Column1 INT NOT NULL
        );

INSERT #tmp3 (Column1) VALUES (1),(2),(3)
    SELECT t3.Column1 FROM #tmp3 t3;'

EXEC(@sql);

• Thank you everyone for your answers. They are very informative. I'll get with my co-worker and we'll discuss this (it's his code but I was advising him on the dynamic sql). You all are aces!

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Jeff Moden - Thursday, May 18, 2017 4:09 PM

If you use a "sequence" object instead of an IDENTITY, there will be no need for a dynamic Temp Table nor even a need to determine what the next sequence number should be.

I do have to admit I'm not sure what you're referring to here. If I've heard of a sequence object, I've forgotten about it. What BOL keyword or Google reference should I use to find out more information about this?

• Brandie Tarvin - Friday, May 19, 2017 5:12 AM

Jeff Moden - Thursday, May 18, 2017 4:09 PM

If you use a "sequence" object instead of an IDENTITY, there will be no need for a dynamic Temp Table nor even a need to determine what the next sequence number should be.

I do have to admit I'm not sure what you're referring to here. If I've heard of a sequence object, I've forgotten about it. What BOL keyword or Google reference should I use to find out more information about this?

one article here
    https://www.simple-talk.com/sql/learn-sql-server/sql-server-sequence-basics/

• And another here...
    http://sqlhints.com/2013/04/14/sequence-in-sql-server-2012/

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• And here's the BOL for creating one:  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/t-sql/statements/create-sequence-transact-sql

They've been around in Oracle ever since I started learning it  and in SQL Server since 2012.

• If you're not too concerned about potential performance hits, you could create a new schema for this staging data within your user database, and create your staging tables there.  Then go back with a cleanup procedure to drop or truncate/reseed target tables that match the schema or some naming convention.

I didn't know about sequences either.  Though I think this might be tricky to work into existing code.

• caffeinated - Saturday, May 20, 2017 11:13 AM

If you're not too concerned about potential performance hits, you could create a new schema for this staging data within your user database, and create your staging tables there.  Then go back with a cleanup procedure to drop or truncate/reseed target tables that match the schema or some naming convention.

I didn't know about sequences either.  Though I think this might be tricky to work into existing code.

I actually already have a schema for this specific project. And I am currently doing a truncate/reseed. But I want to know more about the sequence thing since I don't remember hearing about it.

Thanks everyone for the links. Reading up on it now.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply