Creating a Stored Procedure to return an Int

• I'm trying to create a stored procedure that will take a datetime variable, strip out the month, and return 1 of 4 ints (basically, the month that defines the start of each quarter for the year), below is the code I'm using, but it's throwing an error the line beneath "declare @month int" saying the syntax near '@month' in '@month= ...' is incorrect.

Any ideas? it seems fairly straightforward to me, so I'm not sure what's wrong.

-----------------------------The Code-----------------------------

create PROCEDURE [dbo].[getqtr] (@today datetime)

AS

BEGIN

declare @month int

@month = datepart(month,@today)

case @month

when @month is between 1 and 3 then @month = 1

when @month is between 4 and 6 then @month = 4

when @month is between 7 and 9 then @month = 7

when @month is between 10 and 12 then @month = 10

END

return @month

GO

• There a several ways to get the quarter of a given date (in the order of my personal preference for result in an INT format):

1) use a calendar table that would hold the data, week, month, quarter, year, fiscal_year, IsWorkingDay a.s.o. and a join to this calendar table.

2) SELECT ((MONTH(@ThisDate)-1)/3*3)+1

3) SELECT MONTH(DATEADD(qq, DATEDIFF(qq, 0, @ThisDate), 0))

Option 2 and 3 could be wrapped into an inlineTableValuedFunction (iTVF) if needed.

Regarding the approach you're using: There are several syntax errors in your sproc. Corrected version:

DECLARE @month INT

SELECT @month = DATEPART(MONTH,@ThisDate)

SELECT @month =

CASE

WHEN @month BETWEEN 1 AND 3 THEN 1

WHEN @month BETWEEN 4 AND 6 THEN 4

WHEN @month BETWEEN 7 AND 9 THEN 7

WHEN @month BETWEEN 10 AND 12 THEN 10

END

SELECT @month

Side note: I didn't use code tags on purpose since I don't want to draw attention to this piece of code... 😉

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• Ack! Completely forgot about the 'qq' param for datediff! No need for a separate procedure now. I'll stick with door number 2 as a better solution. Thanks for your help!

• Glad I could help 😀

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply