Create your own backup shipping process to create a "warm standby server"

• Hello,

I'm attempting to create my own backup shipping process to maintain a "warm standby server" for my major production databases. I'm attempting to get a backup sql 2000 compliant sql server db from my 2005 sql server to copy to a 2000 sql server and restore the backup there. I am almost there, but I get this weird error when the backup is being applied.

"Heterogeneous queries and use of OLEDB providers are not supported in fiber mode. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 7432)"

I understand that it's telling me that I can't do what I'm trying to do in fiber mode, but I didn't even know I was in fiber mode, much less how to get out of fiber mode.

Your help is greatly appreciated! I will sleep much better when I have this task working correctly.

jim

P.S. I'd love to have three SQL server 2005 machines and do this with mouse clicks, but that is not possible due to money constraints.

• Don't know about your error, but fiber mode is set with the 'lightweight pooling' option:

sp_configure 'show advanced options', 1

go

reconfigure

go

sp_configure

go

-- observe state of "lightweight pooling 0 1 1 1"

sp_configure 'lightweight pooling', 0

go

reconfigure

go

-- need to restart SQL Server service to take effect

• Thanks for the information Fred, it was very helpful.

Only problem Microsoft isn't very helpful.

You Can't restore a db from a 2005 SQL server to a 2000 SQL server, even if the db on the 2005 machine is 2000 compliant or 80 vs. 90. Looks like someone needs some revenue.

Hopefully someone will see this post and not waste two days attempting the same.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply