Create a stored procedure

• Stewart "Arturius" Campbell (10/15/2014)

Enough nitpicking.

yes, the question used a reserved keyword for a column name (purely by mishap, i'm sure).

but, despite that little inconvenience, the idea behind the question was good.

Hope to see more questions from you, Jaime

+1

• It seems like we have another faulty question in our hands.

The correct answer should be "None of the above..." since you cannot use the keyword column as part of a select statement.

Points should definitely be awarded to everyone that chose that option as the correct answer.

---------------
    Mel. 😎

• Chose "none of the above" & got it worng!

However the correct answer is indeed not provided as option.

Sujeet Singh

Enough nitpicking.

yes, the question used a reserved keyword for a column name (purely by mishap, i'm sure).

I also hope to see more questions from him. That doesn't change the fact that the answer is wrong.

The idea behind the question was good, no question about it. The thing is that "none of the above" was one of the options given and it is the correct answer.

---------------
    Mel. 😎

• Vimal Lohani (10/14/2014)

happycat59 (10/14/2014)

I get error

Msg 156, Level 15, State 1, Procedure my_sp, Line 2

Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'FROM'.

because "Column" is a reserved keyword and needs to be delimited if you want to use it as a column (e.g. [Column]).

You are right,

Given answer is wrong, although syntax is right, Still Sql server will give error on given procedure.

Admin should review once again.

+1

• I'm amazed at the level of acceptance of sloppy, untested code here. Yes, it was only a test, and no, there was no real jeopardy. But it was two lines of SQL that threw an error, which had clearly not been run in a query window. In my book anyone thinking this is acceptable wouldn't get a look-in at my department.

Enough nitpicking.

Nicely put, Stewart. I agree, using a reserved word for a column name was most likely an accident (and, I admit, it's something that I missed when I read the question :blush:). Should Jaime have tested this code? Sure. Does that negate the principle behind the question (teaching deferred name resolution)? Not at all. It certainly doesn't deserve all of the negative comments that have been generated.

Nice question, Jaime. I hope to see more questions from you in the future.

• Agree with the others that "none of the above" the correct answer is.

In fact the correct answer should have been "none of the above and below", since there was another option below. 😀

The explanation is not (completely) correct, since an important part was missing, which is mentioned in a note in the referred article

Deferred name resolution can only be used when you reference nonexistent table objects. All other objects must exist at the time the stored procedure is created. For example, when you reference an existing table in a stored procedure you cannot list nonexistent columns for that table.

So the deferred name resolution only works for nonexistent table objects. If the table exists it will check the existence of the column.

• It is an interesting question, it just needed some testing before it was published.

• I think it's interesting to note that the article that Jaime linked to in BOL is only shown as being relevant to SQL Server 2005, 2008, and 2008 R2, even though 2012 and 2014 still have deferred name resolution. I know, it's shocking that BOL would be incomplete, right? :hehe:

• As many have already pointed out, the "correct" answer is bunk. There will be a syntax error because "column" is a reserved word. So the only option that actually fits is "none of the above".

And now that SQLS 2005 is no longer in standard support it isn't appropriate to reference SQL 2005 ("(SQL.90)" in the url) documentation in the explanation for a question that doesn't specify 2005 explicitly.

But the idea behind the question was good, even though the execution was careless and the clear absence of checking is abysmal.

Tom

• TomThomson (10/15/2014)

As many have already pointed out, the "correct" answer is bunk. There will be a syntax error because "column" is a reserved word. So the only option that actually fits is "none of the above".

And now that SQLS 2005 is no longer in standard support it isn't appropriate to reference SQL 2005 ("(SQL.90)" in the url) documentation in the explanation for a question that doesn't specify 2005 explicitly.

But the idea behind the question was good, even though the execution was careless and the clear absence of checking is abysmal.

+1

• Hello everybody

My apologize for this "mistake" over the QOTD, i really don't know what happened since the original query was:

CREATE PROCEDURE my_sp AS

SELECT columns FROM my_table

My intention was not set the keyword "COLUMN" but the word "COLUMNS" which let's this query runs perfectly on sql server, so the main idea was teach about the deferred name resolution.

Again, sorry for this but the most important thing is not breaking your ### good question in a row but learn something new about sql :-P:cool:

• Same issue as for happycat59:

Msg 156, Level 15, State 1, Procedure my_sp, Line 2

Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'FROM'.

So basically "none of the above" is the right answer 🙂 (but I can feel author's intention as with proper syntax this query should run without any error neither warning).

Really wish all QOTD tested before posting.

• jaimepc199 (10/15/2014)

Hello everybody

My apologize for this "mistake" over the QOTD, i really don't know what happened since the original query was:

CREATE PROCEDURE my_sp AS

SELECT columns FROM my_table

My intention was not set the keyword "COLUMN" but the word "COLUMNS" which let's this query runs perfectly on sql server, so the main idea was teach about the deferred name resolution.

Again, sorry for this but the most important thing is not breaking your ### good question in a row but learn something new about sql :-P:cool:

Accepted. Everyone makes mistakes and s#@$t happens.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply