CPU utilization

• Hi

I'm new to SQLSERVER.What should be the Normal CPU Utilization of SQLSERVER?

I checked CPU in sysprocess.Is showed like 1714526.Is this a normal one?

• It depends, usually an SQL server can have upto 75% of the system CPU, if it exceeds this for a time period then you have to look for problems that causes this and rectify it 🙂

• sudarram (12/19/2008)

Hi

I'm new to SQLSERVER.What should be the Normal CPU Utilization of SQLSERVER?

Depends what the server's doing. That's kinda like asking "How long is a piece of string?"

I checked CPU in sysprocess.Is showed like 1714526.Is this a normal one?

That's total CPU time, not utilisation. Utilisations a percentage.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thanks Creazyman.

But how can i check the CPU Utilization.Is that correct that i'm checking in Sysprocesses CPU column?

• A single SPID has 1714526 Cpu.Was this a normal one?

• sudarram (12/19/2008)

A single SPID has 1714526 Cpu.Was this a normal one?

Who knows? That's just saying how much CPU time that spid has used since it started. Without knowing what it's doing and when it started there is absolutely nothing that can be said.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Oh ok now i can understand that it is CPU time not the utilization.

I checked in Taskmanager->Performance->cpu.Is that the exact cpu utilization?

[Dont mistake me for my childish questions]

• Yup, though you're probably better off using perfmon than task manager for anything other than a casual check.

And before you ask, there's no 'normal' value. It's completely dependant on your system and what it's doing. You need to get familiar with what's normal for your system so that you can see when it's abnormal.

Gail Shaw

• Thanks a lot Gail Shaw

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply