Couple of question about upgrading SQL Server

• Hi 
    Currently, we are at SQL Server 2012.
     My boss thinks that moving to SQL server 14 or higher the data is automatically encrypted. I do not think that is the case, I think you still have to encrypt it your self.
    Which is the case here?
    2nd question:
    If I upgrade to is it a simple upgrade or do I have to install the new version and move everything over?

Last question: Can we just jump to the latest version 2017 I believe?  

Thank you

• itmasterw 60042 - Thursday, January 31, 2019 1:34 PM

Hi 
    Currently, we are at SQL Server 2012.
     My boss thinks that moving to SQL server 14 or higher the data is automatically encrypted. I do not think that is the case, I think you still have to encrypt it your self.
    Which is the case here?
    2nd question:
    If I upgrade to is it a simple upgrade or do I have to install the new version and move everything over?

Last question: Can we just jump to the latest version 2017 I believe?  

Thank you

You are correct - Data isn't automatically encrypted on higher versions.
    You can upgrade from 2012 to 2017 but check the service pack requirements for 2012, a little variation depending on the editions of SQL Server:
    Supported Version and Edition Upgrades for SQL Server 2017

Sue

• Thanks sue for your reply,
    So does this mean that I would just be able to upgrade, without moving everything?
    Thanks

• itmasterw 60042 - Thursday, January 31, 2019 3:05 PM

Thanks sue for your reply,
    So does this mean that I would just be able to upgrade, without moving everything?
    Thanks

You can upgrade in place - that's what is done without moving. The weakness in that is what if the upgrade fails, has issues? Falling back to the older versions of everything, uninstalling, restoring, etc can take quite a bit of time. The documentation has some information on the options with upgrading in place vs migrating to a new installation:
    Choose a database engine upgrade method

Sue

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply