Corrupt Database - Can''t attach - Any third party tools?

• hi guys

I have inherited a problem, I need to restore some databases however I have a feeling that they may be corrupt (recovered from a data recovery centre from a hard disk failure)

I was wondering, are there any recommended third party tools i can use to try retrieve the data?

I have tried MSSQLRecovery, however, it doesn't retrieve much sadly, also the sql it produces has syntax errors.

Any other tools out there.

Many Thanks in Advance

Cheryl

• have you already more info than just a "feeling that they may be corrupt"? What error messages do you receive?

• hi thanks for the reply

I get the following error in my error log

2005-06-14 21:40:54.88 spid54 Error: 823, Severity: 24, State: 2

2005-06-14 21:40:54.88 spid54 I/O error (torn page) detected during read at offset 0x0000000001c000 in file 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\data\htypesus_Data.MDF'..

2005-06-14 21:42:08.09 spid56 Error: 5180, Severity: 22, State: 1

2005-06-14 21:42:08.09 spid56 Could not open FCB for invalid file ID 22024 in database 'SMTG'..

2005-06-14 21:50:45.20 spid51 Error: 823, Severity: 24, State: 2

2005-06-14 21:50:45.20 spid51 I/O error (torn page) detected during read at offset 0x0000000001c000 in file 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\data\htypesus_Data.MDF'..

• Have you got any good backup that you can go back to? From what you posted I assume that you don't. What is the status of the db? Can you access the data?

• no backups unfortunately, a combination of 2 disks failing at once in a raid array adn a problem with the tape (comes in threes lol)

this is where i got too

I got the databases restored into 'Emergency' mode

How I done this...

Created a new database with the same name and approx same size

stop the sql server service

copied over our 'corrupt' mdf/ldf over the one we created

restart the sql server service

This marks the database as suspect

usually with a suspect database you can do the following

USE master

GO

sp_configure 'allow updates', 1

GO

RECONFIGURE WITH OVERRIDE

GO

exec sp_resetstatus DBNAME

GO

sp_configure 'allow updates', 0

GO

RECONFIGURE WITH OVERRIDE

GO

Stop the service and restart it

This would normally remove the suspect flag, however, in this case it did not

So I then put the database into emergency mode using the following statement

UPDATE master..sysdatabases SET status=-32768 WHERE name='DBNAME'

The database is now sucessfully in Emergency mode, I was hoping that this would have gave us access to the tables so we could DTS the info out into a clean database. But..... There were no tables listed unfortunately.

When I checked the error log in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\LOG, I am getting these types of errors

2005-06-14 21:40:54.88 spid54 Error: 823, Severity: 24, State: 2

2005-06-14 21:40:54.88 spid54 I/O error (torn page) detected during read at offset 0x0000000001c000 in file 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\data\htypesus_Data.MDF'..

2005-06-14 21:42:08.09 spid56 Error: 5180, Severity: 22, State: 1

2005-06-14 21:42:08.09 spid56 Could not open FCB for invalid file ID 22024 in database 'SMTG'..

2005-06-14 21:50:45.20 spid51 Error: 823, Severity: 24, State: 2

2005-06-14 21:50:45.20 spid51 I/O error (torn page) detected during read at offset 0x0000000001c000 in file 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\data\htypesus_Data.MDF'..

The DBCC command I really wanted to run was

DBCC CHECKDB ('smtg', REPAIR_ALLOW_DATA_LOSS)

Which could have sorted the torn page detection fault?, however, once i ran that i got

Could not open FCB for invalid file ID 0 in database 'SMTG'.

Starting to run out of ideas unfortunately

• What I wanted to suggest was to put db into emergency mode and try to get out as much data as possible. You've already done that to no avail. I have no personal experience with MSSQLRecovery or similar tool so I can offer nothing in that direction. I think you've done everything possible and probably your best bet now is to call MS support. Just my opinion though.

• 😀

yeah gonna give them a call

Thanks

• I had this error on attaching DataBase:

---------------------------

Microsoft SQL-DMO (ODBC SQLState: HY000)

---------------------------

Error 823: I/O error (torn page) detected during read at offset 0x00000027dc2000 in file ....

very cool article about this is here:

http://www.sql.ru/faq/faq_topic.aspx?fid=123

but this article is on russian. If need I can translate it to English.

I repaired my corrupted database.

• Hi ,

I have a similar problem. I think the link that you have provided here is quiet useful. Can you please translate in English.

1000 and 1 thanks

Helen
    --------------------------------
    Are you a born again. He is Jehova Jirah unto me

• I will it from now.

I think will finish it tomorrow.

but sorry for my not so good English.

• See here:

http://www.se-pro.com/faq/sql/faq1.html

• Hi Bro, have your solve your problem?

I'm facing the same problem, can we share the solution?

TQ

• I don't think there any solution to resolve torn page error other than restoring the db from previous good backup.

OR

Put the db in engency mode and take the data out...

MohammedU
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

• Unfortunately I don't have any good advice for attaching corrupted data files.  If a backup file is corrupted and cannot be restored you can use LiteSpeed for SQL Servers object level recovery to extract out the "good" data from the backup.  This tool allows you to perform Object Level Recovery on native SQL backup files and will allow you to restore all tables and objects from the backup file that are not corrupted.  For more information e-mail me direct or check out http://www.quest.com/litespeed_for_sql_server/

• Unfortunately I don't have any good advice for attaching corrupted data files.  If a backup file is corrupted and cannot be restored you can use LiteSpeed for SQL Servers object level recovery to extract out the "good" data from the backup.  This tool allows you to perform Object Level Recovery on native SQL backup files and will allow you to restore all tables and objects from the backup file that are not corrupted.  For more information e-mail me direct or check out http://www.quest.com/litespeed_for_sql_server/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply