Copying a database from a Production Environment to a Training Environment

• I am attempting to move a User Database from the Production Server to a Training Server. What is the best/most simplistic way for me to accomplish this task and place this copying action on a schedule of say "every saturday morning @ 7am"

I tried the "Copy Database Wizard" within Enterprise Manager and it successfully copies the database, however when I try to schedule it to happen at a different time...it does not copy the database. It seems to only work when I tell it to perform this action now.

Please help.

Thanks,

JC

• I'd use backup/restore.

---------------------------------------
    elsasoft.org

• what kind of error do you get when you schedule that copy database script? I immediately assumed "security problem" (meaning, the user running the scheduled job doesn't have the authority to run the script correctly.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• I dont receive an error. Its just when I go to that destination server to verify the copy...It is not there. Even after refreshing a few times. I have full rights and privileges to both the source and destination server.

• perhaps there's an error in the agent log. CDW uses an agent job to schedule the copy, so check there.

---------------------------------------
    elsasoft.org

• You may also want to check eventvwr.

It ran under your account when you manually fired it. But when it is run as scheduled, it uses the sql agent startup service account. Im guessing it is using the local system account. It has to be a domain account with proper permissions if your job requires resources across the network.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply