Converting Zero to Null

• Hi Friends,

I have a status table which contains total number of records from another table in category wise. The table contains 1 integer and 13 tinyinteger datatype. The values in the last 13 fields are updating according to the updation in another table. I create a trigger and it works fine. Now the problem is that I don't want to store value 0 in my status table. ie when the value change to 0, it should automatically change into null. Can anyone help me write a trigger in my status table to do so.

Like we can find out recently updated or deleted rows through inserted/deleted table how can we find our updated row. From the BOL I find something like IF COLUMNS_UPDATED() & columnnumber). Should I use something like this.

Pls let me know

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Manoj

P.B. No 14337

Doha - Qatar

Ph: 4435361

web:www.fccqatar.com

P.B. No 14337
    Doha - Qatar
    Ph: 4435361
    web:www.fccqatar.com

• You can just run an update inside your trigger that looks something like this:

update colname=null where pkey in (select pkey from inserted where colname=0)

I dont know that the conditional update() is needed since if colname=0, you always change to null, right?

If you have SQL2K, you could use an insert trigger that changes the insert to something like this:

insert into table blahblah (colname)

select nullif(colname,0) from inserted

Andy

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply