Converting Cubes

• I am very new to SQLServer so please excuse me if this is a question that was answered before. I have created a cube using the Analysis Manager and I want to be able to convert those cubes to local cubes (.cub files). Is there a way to do this? Also, we need to be able to use these cubes in both SQLServer and Oracle, any ideas on how we might do this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

• Hi Ray,

Normally conversion is not overly easy (I used to open the cubes up in Excel and use it's local cube saving functionality). But, there is a really cool tool out there at the moment that lets you save server cubes as local cubes (with a LOT of different options). We've been testing it with a client, and the only downside we've seen is when we have had very complex cubes. Go to http://www.localcubetask.com/ and take a look. Just in case you're interested, no, I have no affiliation with these guys, I just like the tool 🙂

Regarding "useing the cubes with SQLServer and Oracle", not quite sure what you mean? If you mean populating the cubes with data from either datasource, then you should be able to do this quite easily.

HTH,

Steve

Steve.

• Hi Ray,

We use Brio to access our cubes, but there are many other front-end apps. They all generate MDX basically. We pull data from an Oracle warehouse into a SQL 2K mart then build the cubes via AS. Not sure if this is what you meant by linking Oracle and SQL Server.

HTH

Steve

• Hi Ray,

Analysis services cubes can combine data from any number of sources and you can use DTS packages to extract data. Any reporting tool or frontend tool (including Excel) which supports pivot table service can access the cube. One can also write custom analytical apps using DSO model (Decision Support Objects) and ADOMD. I am not sure what you mean when you said you need to use the cubes both in SQLServer and Oracle ?

Have a good one

-Sravan

• I guess I need to clarify my statement about using the cubes in both Oracle and SQLServer. What I have been told by my boss is that we want to be able to use 1 tool to create our cubes, such as the Analysis Manager, and then be able to distribute those cubes in our product for use with SQLServer and Oracle databases. Some of our customers have SQLServer and some have Oracle. We don't want to have to create the same cubes twice so as to use them with the different databases. I am also trying to figure out where I should put these cubes I convert into local cubes so the SQL database can see them to have access to the cube data. Also, is MDX the best way to access the data from these cubes?

• Hi Ray,

Does your product need to extract its data from either Oracle or SQL DBs? Or do you supply the data yourselves? You should forget about building cubes in Oracle pre-version 9i, so stick with SQL (7 or 2K). DTS will extract from either platform then once you have your cubes in AS, I would agree with stevefromOZ - use the localcube software he refers to.

Cheers

Steve

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply