convert string to date SSIS 2008 R2

• hi all,

I never found the SSIS 2008 R2 section so I am posting this here since it really is of somewhat general interest:

how do I convert a date in string format into a string that can be converted to a date.

If my string were YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS.000 the conversion goes well.

I know how to convert YYYYMMDD into the format above, however my date strings are M/D/YYYY and they are not even padded.

Do you know how to parse M/D/YYYY and get YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS.000 with the syntax of SSIS?

I tried

ISNULL(DATE) ? NULL(DT_DBDATE) : (LEN(DATE) == 0 ? NULL(DT_DBDATE) : (DT_DBDATE)(SUBSTRING(TRIM(DATE),FINDSTRING("/",DATE,2),4) + "-" + SUBSTRING(TRIM(DATE),1,FINDSTRING("/",DATE,1) - 1) + "-" + SUBSTRING(TRIM(DATE),FINDSTRING("/",DATE,1),FINDSTRING("/",DATE,2) - 1)))

but there's something wrong and I can't find the mistake,

Thanks,

kowlasky

• axes2000 (9/19/2013)

hi all,

I never found the SSIS 2008 R2 section so I am posting this here since it really is of somewhat general interest:

how do I convert a date in string format into a string that can be converted to a date.

If my string were YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS.000 the conversion goes well.

I know how to convert YYYYMMDD into the format above, however my date strings are M/D/YYYY and they are not even padded.

Do you know how to parse M/D/YYYY and get YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS.000 with the syntax of SSIS?

I tried

ISNULL(DATE) ? NULL(DT_DBDATE) : (LEN(DATE) == 0 ? NULL(DT_DBDATE) : (DT_DBDATE)(SUBSTRING(TRIM(DATE),FINDSTRING("/",DATE,2),4) + "-" + SUBSTRING(TRIM(DATE),1,FINDSTRING("/",DATE,1) - 1) + "-" + SUBSTRING(TRIM(DATE),FINDSTRING("/",DATE,1),FINDSTRING("/",DATE,2) - 1)))

Not clear if the overall goal is to get the conversion to a valid date/time format or if the goal is to get the string into a particular string format for a date. I found the following expression to take a M/D/YYYY string date and convert it to an acceptable date format in SSIS:

(DT_DATE)"3/4/2013"

It returns a date/time with the following display format: 3/4/2013 12:00:00 AM. The expression is accepted as giving a valid date within a date/time variable.

• Thank you very much,

kowalsky

• Glad you were able to get it working.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply