Continuous Releases

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Continuous Releases

• Recently I have found myself in an internal debate regarding Microsoft's plans to use an app store for Windows 8. I can't explain why, but I am against it.

Since I am unsure why I feel this way, I can only guess as to the reasons. Do I trust Apple more? Certainly. Does Microsoft have a history of releasing bug fixes that break other products (for whatever reason)? Yes. Do I view the PC and a tablet as separate entities that should be managed differently? Yes.

All I can say is that I will not be a fan of giving Microsoft control over my PC. I am frustrated enough with them and all the issues I have to deal with, like Windows Genuine (dis)Advantage! What is the chance they can implement something that PC owners will benefit from? None. Apple provided developers a method to deploy otherwise unsaleable apps, albeit at a huge cost. PCs don't require that.

This could turn into a huge post, and an even larger debate, so let's just say I have my concerns, and I doubt a company like Microsoft is going to be able to convince me of any benefit.

As far as my iPad goes, I love the concept. I am even dabbling in developing an app, knowing up front it will make Apple more money than it will make me.

Dave

Dave

• I'm not crazy about 'continuous interaction' except as an option the user chooses. It's (usually) only a minor annoyance when your phone app changes something. Though it can be annoying. Google Map application on my blackberry just starts up and runs, on the Android phone it seems to require a Google account (I don't like that).

Personally in SQL server and similar applications, 90% or more of the new features have little effect on my requirements, at least in the short term, so I'm more interested in maintaining stability. I certainly don't want to rush into the latest thing.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

• I've found that continuous releases are usually because there are continuous problems to fix.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (5/21/2012)

I've found that continuous releases are usually because there are continuous problems to fix.

LOL, sometimes, but they are also a good way to slip out new features. Facebook, and other companies that work on the web do this for a variety of reasons. Quality control is all over the board, which is part of the problem. That does usually result in more releases to "fix" the last release.

• djackson 22568 (5/21/2012)

. . . Do I view the PC and a tablet as separate entities that should be managed differently? Yes. . . .

And what if that tablet has 8 or 16 GB of memory and 512+ GB SSD and you carry it around and during the day, use it as a tablet, with a limited soft keyboard entry that allows you to answer simple e-mails, but when you come to the office or home, you cradle it and you have a PC with a Blu-ray screen, mouse a and wireless keyboard and a 2 TB external HD?

• IMO continuous release may work for projects that involve up to about 30 people. If you are dealing with a big product, it does not work. An example right down out alley: automated BVTs of each SQLS build take seven and half days, on over 200 VMs. The entire cycle with a signoff of all stakeholders takes at least three weeks.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply