Continuing Education

• dma-669038 (4/15/2010)

but I'd like a juicy messed up situation to learn from. How do you create one? Would love to hear more from others in this regard.

Heh... just read the posts on these forums... especially on the T-SQL side of the house. 🙂

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• This is why I'll be down in NYC a week from Saturday[/url].

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• Ray K (4/16/2010)

This is why I'll be down in NYC a week from Saturday[/url].

Me too.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• I am missing something here, i do read a lot of the tsql posts, not every single one but quite a few (need to find more time to respond to them) and attending sql saturdays/pass and all. Am not at all undermining the learning that comes out of that. Am only asking about you all experiences with re creating real world like situations at home on on your personal server if you have one.Or perhaps better put would be - where do you find data to work on?? The majority problems i have enjoyed solving and learnt best are those that are created on environmetns with significant data complexity (and huge messy queries that someone wrote!!). How do you get that at home?

• dma-669038 (4/16/2010)

I am missing something here, i do read a lot of the tsql posts, not every single one but quite a few (need to find more time to respond to them) and attending sql saturdays/pass and all. Am not at all undermining the learning that comes out of that. Am only asking about you all experiences with re creating real world like situations at home on on your personal server if you have one.Or perhaps better put would be - where do you find data to work on?? The majority problems i have enjoyed solving and learnt best are those that are created on environmetns with significant data complexity (and huge messy queries that someone wrote!!). How do you get that at home?

I'm assuming you're looking for data sources with which to practice, yes?

I'm sure you can find plenty of resources to practice. When I first started learning about cubes and SSAS, I figured I'd use a data source that was of interest to me.

I'm a baseball fanatic. I found a site, http://www.baseball1.com/, that has baseball statistics going all the way back to 18-something. With that, I have data that interests me, and I get SQL practice at the same time.

Or, you can use the good old Northwind DB. That's why it's there.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

• Grant Fritchey (4/16/2010)

Ray K (4/16/2010)

Me too.

Yep, we had this conversation before. Looking forward to finally meeting you in person!

Not yet sure if I'll be sitting in on your session; I'm still trying to figure out what sessions would be most useful to me.

• dma-669038 (4/16/2010)

I am missing something here, i do read a lot of the tsql posts, not every single one but quite a few (need to find more time to respond to them) and attending sql saturdays/pass and all. Am not at all undermining the learning that comes out of that. Am only asking about you all experiences with re creating real world like situations at home on on your personal server if you have one.Or perhaps better put would be - where do you find data to work on?? The majority problems i have enjoyed solving and learnt best are those that are created on environmetns with significant data complexity (and huge messy queries that someone wrote!!). How do you get that at home?

It's very hard, if not impossible, to find all the crazy stuff you can do and replicate it at home. Instead, I generally try to do everything I possibly can, the right way at home. Learning how everything is supposed to work as opposed to all the ways you can screw it up will teach you many ways to screw it up. Then, it's just experience and reading and work to identify the common bad practices that you might be able to replicate.

There is no magic bullet for this stuff. It's all about time.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Thank you Ray. I will look into the baseball site or similar, that sounds like something am looking for. Northwind or Adventureworks..too structured, I wish more businesses had data as clean as that, and no easy way to create more of the data.

• Ray K (4/16/2010)

Grant Fritchey (4/16/2010)

Ray K (4/16/2010)

Me too.

Yep, we had this conversation before. Looking forward to finally meeting you in person!

Not yet sure if I'll be sitting in on your session; I'm still trying to figure out what sessions would be most useful to me.

Sorry, I lose track. It's looking to be a fun event. Lots of good learning to be had. The price is certainly right.

dma-669038 (4/16/2010)

Learning how everything is supposed to work as opposed to all the ways you can screw it up will teach you many ways to screw it up. Then, it's just experience and reading and work to identify the common bad practices that you might be able to replicate.

Great one, thank you. The NYC SQL Saturday sounds like fun, although the thought of finding a place to stay in the city even for a weekend is hard 🙂 Grant, would you be at Indy Techfest in May?

• dma-669038 (4/16/2010)

dma-669038 (4/16/2010)

Learning how everything is supposed to work as opposed to all the ways you can screw it up will teach you many ways to screw it up. Then, it's just experience and reading and work to identify the common bad practices that you might be able to replicate.

Great one, thank you. The NYC SQL Saturday sounds like fun, although the thought of finding a place to stay in the city even for a weekend is hard 🙂 Grant, would you be at Indy Techfest in May?

No, I'm not one of these travelling consultant guys. I tend to stay close to home. Although I did Connections in Vegas last year and I'm going down to NYC for this SQL Saturday, so I'm starting to move around a bit.

dma-669038 (4/16/2010)

dma-669038 (4/16/2010)

No, I'm not one of these travelling consultant guys. I tend to stay close to home. Although I did Connections in Vegas last year and I'm going down to NYC for this SQL Saturday, so I'm starting to move around a bit.

Still waiting to see you in Orlando. I'll be in touch as we are planning our next SQLSaturday now. Early October is a nice time to be here.

• dma-669038 (4/16/2010)

Or perhaps better put would be - where do you find data to work on?? The majority problems i have enjoyed solving and learnt best are those that are created on environmetns with significant data complexity (and huge messy queries that someone wrote!!). How do you get that at home?

That's part of the "secret" to becoming a Jedi Knight... you have to build your own Light Saber. 😉 Being able to quickly build large quantities of your own test data is one of those skills that is essential to becoming a Jedi in T-SQL.

I usually test on a million rows (sometimes more). Building a million row table of things to test on isn't much more difficult than building a Tally table. If you take a look back at several of my (and some of the Jedi's on this forum) posts, I'm sure you'll find my "standard" million row test table generator code.

Why don't I post it here? Heh... because participation is also essential. 🙂 Wax on... wax off.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (4/16/2010)

dma-669038 (4/16/2010)

Or perhaps better put would be - where do you find data to work on?? The majority problems i have enjoyed solving and learnt best are those that are created on environmetns with significant data complexity (and huge messy queries that someone wrote!!). How do you get that at home?

That's part of the "secret" to becoming a Jedi Knight... you have to build your own Light Saber. 😉 Being able to quickly build large quantities of your own test data is one of those skills that is essential to becoming a Jedi in T-SQL.

I usually test on a million rows (sometimes more). Building a million row table of things to test on isn't much more difficult than building a Tally table. If you take a look back at several of my (and some of the Jedi's on this forum) posts, I'm sure you'll find my "standard" million row test table generator code.

Why don't I post it here? Heh... because participation is also essential. 🙂 Wax on... wax off.

Aren't you mixing movie metaphors here??

• Jeff Moden (4/16/2010)

There are articles and forums littered with the test table generator. Hint: look for articles too.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply