Connectivity Problem

• I have an unusual connectivity problem with my SLQ Servers 2005.

The architecture is two identical computers.  Let's call them DB1 and DB2.

DB1 is the production server.  DB2 is the failover server.  DB1 has transactional replication to a SQL Server 2000 instance running on DB2. Also, DB1 ships transaction logs to a SQL Server 2005 instance on DB2.

Everything works fine, except that if I reboot DB2, all web servers that access DB1 lose their connection to the server.

There are no errors logged (except for complaints about not being able to replicate to DB2) in either the SQL Server error log or the computer's error logs.

Thank you for any ideas.

Carlos.

Regards,

Carlos

• Is your web servers access db2 in any way?

How is the connection string or odbc configured for your web servers to connect to db1.

When db2 is failover server for db2 and no web servers pointo to db2 then you should not have this problem...

MohammedU
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

• Hi,

The connections are made through ODBC.  The applications that connect from the web servers are perl cgi.  The entire system has been operational since 1999 and handles several thousand hits per day.  The problem has only started since we switched to new hardware and at the same time we upgraded to SQL Server 2005.  We have confirmed that the disconnection problem occurs on DB1 everytime we reboot DB2.  Thanks for confirming that this is something that shouldn't happen.  We'll try to do some diagnosis the next time that we need to reboot the servers. 

Carlos.

Regards,

Carlos

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply