Connection to the different domain from SSMS

• Hi ,

I installed SSMS in my local machine. In the company they do create admin account to connect to the sql server instances. My local windows login (normal windows account) is different from admin account. How to connect to SQL server from your local installed ssms.

Thanks,

Ramana

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• So the accounts are in the same domain or in different domains?

If you have DOMAIN1\MyNormalAccount and DOMAIN1\MyAdminAccount, you would need to run SSMS as your admin account.

To do this you can hold shift, then right click SSMS, then run as different user, then input your admin credentials.

You may also want to create a batch file using a "RUN AS" command so you just double click the BAT file and enter the password, and SSMS starts.

If the accounts are in different domains DOMAIN1\MyNormalAccount, DOMAIN2\MyAdminAccount, you will need to ensure that there is a trust in place between the two domains (speak to your AD/WinTel team to confirm).  Then again the same rules above apply.

If there is no trust, you would have to RDP to DOMAIN2 to use your admin credentials, or you use SQL authentication instead.

• Use RUNAS

RUNAS /savecred /user:YourDomain\YourUsername "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 18\Common7\IDE\Ssms.exe"

You can create a .bat file, put a shortcut on your desktop, and use that to connect.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• The accounts are in different domains. SSMS is domain/local user & I am trying to run the SSMS domain2/adminuser. I tried using run as command & manually holding the shift key and opening the SSMS but it is failing with the below msg

The computer you are signing into is protected by an authentication firewall. The specified account is not allowed to authenticate to the computer.

I want to know is adding domain2/adminuser to my computer will solve the issue ( I don't have permission to add the user) or is it firewall related?

Thanks,

Ramana

• Thank you.  I tried it. I am getting the msg The computer you are signing into is protected by an authentication firewall. The specified account is not allowed to authenticate to the computer.

Thanks,

Ramana

• The domain trusts have been set up with selective authentication.

You need to work with your domain admins and security teams to ensure you can do what you need to do, or you need to use a jump box in DOMAIN2 instead.

• Thank you.

Thanks,

Ramana

• Hi,

I created the ticket. They add the users to my computer. I can able to run the SSMS as Domain1/Domain1ADM. When I tried to run the SSMS as Domain2/Domain2ADM it is not working.

A network-related or instance-specified error occured while establish a connection to SQL Server. The server was not not found or not accessible. Verify the instance name is correct and that sql server is configured to allow remote connections. . (Provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error:26 - Error Locating Server/Instance specified). (.Net sqlclient Data provider)

I checked from SQL server. The server is up and running. The browser service is running. It allowed to have remote connection. All the TCP/IP, Named pipes, shared memory everything enabled.

Please let me know what else I have to check.

Thanks,

Ramana

• ramana3327 wrote:

Hi,

I created the ticket. They add the users to my computer. I can able to run the SSMS as Domain1/Domain1ADM. When I tried to run the SSMS as Domain2/Domain2ADM it is not working.

A network-related or instance-specified error occured while establish a connection to SQL Server. The server was not not found or not accessible. Verify the instance name is correct and that sql server is configured to allow remote connections. . (Provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error:26 - Error Locating Server/Instance specified). (.Net sqlclient Data provider)

I checked from SQL server. The server is up and running. The browser service is running. It allowed to have remote connection. All the TCP/IP, Named pipes, shared memory everything enabled.

Please let me know what else I have to check.

Thanks,

Ramana

This is definitely a firewall or a DNS issue.  It should not be a Windows firewall issue.   You may very well be able to ping the server by name and IP, and it will succeed.

If you can login using the IP address, then it is a DNS issue.

If you get the same error using the IP, it is a firewall issue.

Do you have a networking group?  Contact them.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• ramana3327 wrote:

How were you able to check from SQL Server?  And what are you specifying as the connection?

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• I am not sure what is the issue. Magically it is working fine now, which didn't work yesterday. Thank you for you help.

Thanks,

Sirisha

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply