Connection "SourceConnectionFlatFile" failed validation

• smac (3/8/2011)

Gotcha!

I see where you are talking about.

Can I create the credentials and proxy or does the administrator need to do that?

This normally belongs to the tasks of an administrator, as it deals with security.

But if you have the necessary permissions and you're feeling lucky, why not do it yourself 🙂

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Naw I think I will leave it to the administrator 😉

Don't feel like bringing the company to its knees if that is remotely possible!!

Thanks, you've been patient and great and I have learned LOTS!!!!!!!

😀

• So our administrator created the Credential

Name: OEM PC Admin

Identity: 10.239.130.111\Administrator (since this pc is not on the domain)

Created.

New Proxy, select credential, failed.

Proxy "10.239.130.111\Administrator" is not a valid Windows user.

I thought we could create a user outside the server?

• smac (3/8/2011)

Naw I think I will leave it to the administrator 😉

Don't feel like bringing the company to its knees if that is remotely possible!!

Thanks, you've been patient and great and I have learned LOTS!!!!!!!

😀

No problem, glad to help.

• smac (3/8/2011)

So our administrator created the Credential

Created.

This is a bit out of my domain. I shall see if I can get someone over who knows more of this stuff...

• This is a bit out of my domain.

Was that deliberate?? Nice pun!

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Phil Parkin (3/8/2011)

This is a bit out of my domain.

Was that deliberate?? Nice pun!

I shall now pretend I have an amazing sense of humour and say:

Yes, it was deliberate.

😎 :hehe:

• smac (3/8/2011)

Created.

You can't use an IP address like that in a SQL Server credential. It has to be the domain name \ login if it is a Windows account. And if it's a SQL Login, it can't use the \ or SQL will assume (incorrectly) that it's a Windows account.

Get your admin to fix the login name.

EDIT for clarification: MyDomain\WindowsLogin can be mapped to just WindowsLogin in SQL Server. And MyDomain isn't actually part of the Windows account. It's literally the name of the domain the account belongs in. But you need the initial MyDomain\WindowsLogin for mapping the account in SQL Server. Does that make sense?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (3/8/2011)

smac (3/8/2011)

Created.

You can't use an IP address like that in a SQL Server credential. It has to be the domain name \ login if it is a Windows account. And if it's a SQL Login, it can't use the \ or SQL will assume (incorrectly) that it's a Windows account.

Get your admin to fix the login name.

EDIT for clarification: MyDomain\WindowsLogin can be mapped to just WindowsLogin in SQL Server. And MyDomain isn't actually part of the Windows account. It's literally the name of the domain the account belongs in. But you need the initial MyDomain\WindowsLogin for mapping the account in SQL Server. Does that make sense?

This machine is not on the domain. :o(

This is seeming less and less resolvable.

• Oh, don't give up hope quite yet. This is a stand alone box, then?

EDIT: sorry. Just now caught up with the start of the thread. I followed a link to the middle. Give me a few and I'll edit the message again.

Okay, so MACHINE NAME (not domain, not IP) \ Login will work. But you also have to make sure the account has permissions to reach the path where the file is at. Otherwise, fixing the login name won't help you.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (3/8/2011)

Oh, don't give up hope quite yet. This is a stand alone box, then?

EDIT: sorry. Just now caught up with the start of the thread. I followed a link to the middle. Give me a few and I'll edit the message again.

Okay, so MACHINE NAME (not domain, not IP) \ Login will work. But you also have to make sure the account has permissions to reach the path where the file is at. Otherwise, fixing the login name won't help you.

Tried machine name \ login:

USER1\Administrator

no go

How do I make sure the account has permissions to reach the path?

• smac (3/8/2011)

How do I make sure the account has permissions to reach the path?

In Windows Explorer, navigate to the top level folder or drive, right click and go to properties -> Security. See if the user is listed there. The user needs to have perms on the top level folder and then, if you are not using inheritable folder permissions, on the bottom-most folder where the file resides.

Start with adding Read and xxx & List Contents. (Can't remember if xxx is Read or Execute off the top of my head). Work your way up the permissions ladder. Do not give Full Control unless you've tested all other possibilities and verified you can't do with less.

EDIT: Are you getting the same "invalid windows user" name you got before? Are you sure Administrator is the actual user name?

If a different error, please post it so I know I'm giving you the correct advice.

• I changed it to USER1\Users because 1 folder had Adminstrator and a higher folder had Administrators (with an s) didn't know if that made a difference so Users was consistant all the way.

Credentials took that and password then went to make the proxy and got:

Create failed for ProxyAccount 'OEM PC User'. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)

Additional information:

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL Statement or batch

(Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

Proxy "USER1\Users" is not a valid Window user. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 14529)

Did add/remove to the principles and only checked SQL Server Integration Services Package.

When I am in credentials and creating a new I click on Identity and this pc is not on there since it's not on the domain - is that the issue why I can't make a new proxy?

• Forget everything you've done and start from scratch.

Users and Administrators (plural) are windows groups. Don't use them. Do not use your box admin account either. Create a brand new plain vanilla windows user for this job (from the perspective of least permissions). Give that user perms on the file path. Then map it to SQL Server, with a default database, and give it the requisite permissions on the proper database. Then try running the job again.

EDIT: Proxy also must have the windows "log on as a batch job" permissions on the computer in order for this to work properly.

• I think I am going to scrap and start over to see if that is the real issue.

I don't know at this point. :w00t:

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply